• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My bankruptcy report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aggervated 84

I've signed up to about 30 different websites and 2 weeks ago, somehow my bankrupt report was put as the #1 search, yet again. When I saw the report was moved back to the first search, I immediately clicked on the website so I could try and contact the company- funny thing is, someone from a "better search engine reputation" company called me and left a voicemail saying "they had noticed I had clicked on a link" and wanted to discuss my options of removing my bad reputation off search engines. I'm in loss of words and incredibly upset. I feel like this is harassment when they have NO IDEA WHY I claimed bankruptcy in the first place. Bankruptcy can traumatize people depending the circumstance of why they had to go that route. When something traumatizes someone it and can cause triggers when brought up again = PTSD. This company should be sued and God forbid they harass someone who had to claim bankruptcy under horrendous circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

I've signed up to about 30 different websites and 2 weeks ago, somehow my bankrupt report was put as the #1 search, yet again. When I saw the report was moved back to the first search, I immediately clicked on the website so I could try and contact the company- funny thing is, someone from a "better search engine reputation" company called me and left a voicemail saying "they had noticed I had clicked on a link" and wanted to discuss my options of removing my bad reputation off search engines. I'm in loss of words and incredibly upset. I feel like this is harassment when they have NO IDEA WHY I claimed bankruptcy in the first place. Bankruptcy can traumatize people depending the circumstance of why they had to go that route. When something traumatizes someone it and can cause triggers when brought up again = PTSD. This company should be sued and God forbid they harass someone who had to claim bankruptcy under horrendous circumstances.
Aggervated 84, what is the name of your state?

This thread was created for you from the post you made to an older thread, because your concerns are a bit different than those of the original creator of the other thread (https://forum.freeadvice.com/consumer-bankruptcy-2/bankruptreport.com-posting-names-public-bankruptcy-records-online-profit-604259.html). He, as a note, is from New York. Laws vary from state to state.

I see one possible reason why you could find your bankruptcy filings appearing first in your searches. Search results often reflect the searches previously done by a person - that is, if you keep searching for your bankruptcy filing, it will remain high in the searches you make of your name, whereas it could be buried on anyone else's search of your name.

As you learned from reading the other thread, court documents, including bankruptcy filings, are public records. Some information must be redacted from these documents, however (e.g., social security numbers, bank account numbers). Again, the other thread provided links to the laws that address private information in public records.

Once you provide your state name, additional state-specific information can be included. Some states are actively investigating websites that publish personal information and then charge for its removal.

single317dad

I see one possible reason why you could find your bankruptcy filings appearing first in your searches. Search results often reflect the searches previously done by a person - that is, if you keep searching for your bankruptcy filing, it will remain high in the searches you make of your name, whereas it could be buried on anyone else's search of your name.
One can test this theory by several means. You can use another computer (e.g. at a library) to perform your search and compare the results. You could use a mobile device not on your own network (e.g. a smartphone that is not logged into your Google account or your WiFi). You could also try a different search engine (dogpile and duckduckgo are favorites of mine).

Though this does stray somewhat from the realm of legal advice into tech support :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">