• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband has a "stipulation" and they say we have to pay 10% interest/yr on balance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bneefreak

My husband has a "stipulation" and they say we have to pay 10% interest/yr on balance

ct
my husband was going 2 declare bankruptcy but we decided 2 try 2 pay everyone off. 1 creditor took him 2 court and so he signed a "stipulation" which includes the principal sum, interest to date, attorney's fee and "costs".
i sent with the payment a request of a statement showing how much we still owe and the balance has not dropped at all. when i spoke w/ the attorney he said that a 10% interest was added on a yearly basis to the balance. no where in my paperwork does it state that. he said that the state of ct adds 10% to all "stipulation". since we are not attorneys and we weren't told that we never knew. is this correct? is this legal? is he taking advantage of us?
i have a letter stating: "per our conversation, if all payments are made ona regular basis then no additional interest will be charged to you."
but i want something stating that no interest will be charged without any conditions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">