• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crafty lady

What is the name of your state? California
Will I be notified if my ex files bankruptcy and trys to wipe out the judgement that I got against him from our divorce?

dcw888

If your Ex does like my Ex & "forgets" or "claims" not to know your mailing address, then you might not get notified. I found out through my daughter that he had filed & just in the nick of time, I think I had 48 hours to deal with it. Good Luck!

Ladynred

You will most certainly be notified IF he includes you as a creditor. Most lawyers will advise that very thing when dealing with Ex's where money is involved.

crafty lady

CA
So will I be able to go to his hearing and talk to the judge? Does the judge have any power to decide what to allow and not allow be wiped out? I find it amazing that anyone can say the heck with you and our child and the bills we created (they are in my name only) Amazing.

Ladynred

Well, your EX can NOT get child support discharged, EVER. The Bankruptcy law won't let him get away with that one. If he is trying to cover up that the judgment you have is for child or spousal support, then you DO need to go to the 341 meeting of creditors (if it hasn't happened yet) and make your objections known.

As for credit cards and other debts, if you can show that his bankrupting those debts would harm you far more than it would benefit him, then you may be able to prevail and keep the debt from being discharged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">