• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

only want out of some debts - ch 7?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pootsybaboo

What is the name of your state? - Florida

I recently got judged against for a hospital bill - $3600. Most of the charges are bogus - all I got was some antibiotics. I don't want them to garnish my wages. And I have some old debt that has been sold to a factoring company that I also want to get rid of. But I do have a credit card (about $200) I want to keep paying on...

I don't have any property, but I do have a car (paid for) I need for work that's worth about $2000 maybe or $2200. I think the car exemption in FL is only $1000 - does that really mean they will take my car?

Isn't there some kind of modified Chapter 7?

Ladynred

Isn't there some kind of modified Chapter 7?
No.

I recently got judged against for a hospital bill - $3600. Most of the charges are bogus - all I got was some antibiotics.
Then did you DISPUTE the charges with the hospital ??

But I do have a credit card (about $200) I want to keep paying on...
You must include ALL DEBTS in bankruptcy, you can't pick and choose. It would be pointless to try to keep a credit card with even a small balance because most creditors are going to close the account and void your card the minute they see that you've filed for bankruptcy.

but I do have a car (paid for) I need for work that's worth about $2000 maybe or $2200. I think the car exemption in FL is only $1000 - does that really mean they will take my car?
Yes, the Trustee could take your car. However, you need ot get a trade-in value quote on your car, not an "I think" value. It may not be worth what you think. You could always REDEEM the vehicle -- meaning you pay the Trustee the current market value of the car to keep it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">