• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partially built home claimed as "primary residence"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keith Holman

What is the name of your state? Florida
After 20+ years of marriage my estranged wife of about 5 years now has filed bankruptcy. To the tune of 51K!! Which is part of the reason for divorce in the first place. She insists on spending more money than she makes. She has claimed 'our' (unfortunately, we are both on the title) partially built home in Florida as her 'primary' residence in the bankruptcy declarations. The house is not finished and does not even have a CO. The last phase of work that I had done is the drywall. It is 75% complete.
I was the one who has paid for ALL the materials & labor and performed much of the labor myself (around 3000 hrs and I have ALL the receipts to prove) while she did absolutely nothing (during the five years of construction she wanted nothing to do with the project and was more in to lounging, sleeping, and partying) to help build this house. So, as you know, in Florida there are 'loopholes' like this that people use to harbor there house from creditors while they ring up enormous charges on there credit cards. My question is this: When someone claims a partially built home as their 'primary residence' on a bankruptcy filing are they not commiting perjury and, if so, what are the possible penalties for such actions? Our three children are grown and do not live with us.

I started building this house in 1996. I thought I was going to be with her the rest of my life and retire in the home with her. After she had an affair with my best friend our marriage erroded and now she has got her hooks firmly planted in the home that I built. Without ANY of her help. Not even moral support. If I absolutely have to give her 50% of a home that "I" built and paid for from years of long, long days of work then I will harbor a hatred for women in general.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">