• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal bankruptcy - credit cards, car lease, rental apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mlrich

What is the name of your state? MA

Couple of questions... I am in way over my head. I have student loan payments of $500 per month, a car lease of $325 per month, an apartment rental of $900 per month and credit card debt of $26,000. The credit card debt has slowly been accumulating since I was 18. My yearly income is $45,000. My current after tax income does not pay my bills so I find myself using credit cards just to make ends meet.

I need relief and fast. If I file for bankruptcy will my apartement rental be in jeopardy? I do not need the car lease as I have switched jobs and no longer need a car to commute, can this be included in y debt?

Aldo if I file will this affect my career in public accounting and my license as a CPA?

Ladynred

Ouch.. BK could be a problem for you being in a financial capacity as a profession. Most employers pull credit reports these days and for most people, the BK isn't going to be of any consequence and won't prevent them from getting hired. As a CPA, it could affect you differently.

1 - Student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy except under extreme conditions.

2- As long as you stay in your current apt, then the answer is no, but if you try to move to another one, it will certainly be a problem.

The car CAN be included, yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">