• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about a pending lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sarah777

I am in Illinois and have a pending lawsuit. My court date is 2/20 and I am filing for chptr 7 (pro se) on 2/22. My question is this: I know that a default judgement will be issued against me (because I am not going to my court date) and my bank account may possibly be frozen through the court/attorney due to the judgement. I am wondering what the time frame is for this to take place. If my court date is on Wed and I am filing on Friday do I have anything to worry about? Will this be enough time for the courts to freeze my account or is this a whole seperate process? Will I be served papers again or will I not even be notified? Do they check my account to see if I have a reasonable amount of money to bother with? I am just a little unclear about the whole ordeal and do not want my account frozen! Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this for me!

nailtech

is this small claims court? I think you have an oppurtunity to reschedule the court date at least once... have you called the court to see if it can be postponed a week or so? just to buy you time here to get papers filed then call and explain it's in the bankruptcy courts and no further actions can be taken against you... just a thought....
someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">