• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent A Center Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ahvintage

What is the nWhat is the name of your state (New York)?

My mom and I rented an apartment in a two family house. We rented the home with all appliances (stove, microwave and refridgerator). about a week after we had moved in some guy knocked on our door stating that he was here to pick up a refridgerator that was from RAC. I told him that I was not going to let him in to remove anything from the home that I would call the landlord and have them get in touch with them. I spoke to the landlord and he told me that the people who rented the upstairs had broken his refridgerator so he gave them his and they told him that they would replace the broken one, but instead they gave him a rented refridgerator weeks later. the landlord told them that he would not accept it, but they told him he can keep it because I guess family worked for the company. The landlord did not sign for anything and they left it there anyay. The people moved out and left the refridgerator there. at the time the landlord was living in the apartment we are now living in for six weeks now and this morning was the third time they showd up knocking on our door. The landlord told me not to turn over the refridgerator to them.

I guess my question is, what can I do to stop them from knocking on our door when we have nothing to do with their arrangement and the tenant no longer lives here. The do have a way of contacting the landlord, but they are harassing us in the mean time.

ame of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the nWhat is the name of your state (New York)?

My mom and I rented an apartment in a two family house. We rented the home with all appliances (stove, microwave and refridgerator). about a week after we had moved in some guy knocked on our door stating that he was here to pick up a refridgerator that was from RAC. I told him that I was not going to let him in to remove anything from the home that I would call the landlord and have them get in touch with them. I spoke to the landlord and he told me that the people who rented the upstairs had broken his refridgerator so he gave them his and they told him that they would replace the broken one, but instead they gave him a rented refridgerator weeks later. the landlord told them that he would not accept it, but they told him he can keep it because I guess family worked for the company. The landlord did not sign for anything and they left it there anyay. The people moved out and left the refridgerator there. at the time the landlord was living in the apartment we are now living in for six weeks now and this morning was the third time they showd up knocking on our door. The landlord told me not to turn over the refridgerator to them.

I guess my question is, what can I do to stop them from knocking on our door when we have nothing to do with their arrangement and the tenant no longer lives here. The do have a way of contacting the landlord, but they are harassing us in the mean time.

ame of your state (only U.S. law)?
Give the folks their fridge.

dmcc10880

Zigner is right... cough.... cough....

In the meantime, it's RAC's property. They can go after the prior tenants for their payments and that has nothing to do with you. How can you say it's your property? Your landlord is responsible for providing you with a working refrigerator or any appliance that's specified in the lease.

BL

Problem is RAC will keep going to the property to try and retrieve their merchandise .

It's not your landlord's either .

I have to sympathize with you though.

Tell the fine folks at RAC the LL provided you a fridge .You had no idea it was a rental .To take it up with the LL .

Meanwhile tell your LL you are unwilling to keep this rental in your possession .Tell the LL to replace it .

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Problem is RAC will keep going to the property to try and retrieve their merchandise .

It's not your landlord's either .

I have to sympathize with you though.

Tell the fine folks at RAC the LL provided you a fridge .You had no idea it was a rental .To take it up with the LL .

Meanwhile tell your LL you are unwilling to keep this rental in your possession .Tell the LL to replace it .
Please keep in mind that our OP COULD find themselves in the unenviable position of being in possession of stolen property if they don't turn over the fridge.

dmcc10880

Please keep in mind that our OP COULD find themselves in the unenviable position of being in possession of stolen property if they don't turn over the fridge.
While unenviable, who "stole" the property? How does this civil case (between the actual renter and the rental company) become criminal?

It becomes criminal in that they know the property is not theirs. They know it's RAC's as any reasonable person would. If they were coming after you for payments that would be different. The landlord owes you a fridge and you/landlord owe RAC theirs. It's pretty simple.

BL

And as I advised ,to tell the LL to replace the fridge as a tenant not willing to hold merchandise belonging to neither of them .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">