• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repossessions and miscellaneous charge-offs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JIM0621

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?MI
My question is I have accumilated around 45k in bad credit. Most of these companies in which I owe money say charged off. This is shown on my credit report. From what I was told these items that are charged off if I leave them alone for 7 years then they will come off my credit report. I was just wondering is this true. If it is I have about 4 years left. If not should I just file Chapter 7? The items I owe on are 2 repossessed vehicles and misc small bills. What is the Fair Credit Act?

Ladynred

From what I was told these items that are charged off if I leave them alone for 7 years then they will come off my credit report. I was just wondering is this true
Yes, its true. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) says that negative items can only stay on your reports for 7 years PLUS 180 days from the date of first delinquency that preceeded placement for collections, internal or external. That date of first delinquency is REQUIRED, creditors MUST report it.

For 2 repo's, you're like to get sued.

You can find the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) here:
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">