• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Satisfying a Judgment in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bellfamly

I was the victim of a buy here pay here used car dealership in 1992. Less than 90 days of buying my first car, I was walking again. At that time, as a matter of principle I refused to pay anymore of the debt. In 1994 I had a judgement of $5300 placed on my credit in the State of Virginia. I now reside in Florida and have recently been able to save up about $2500 and thought I would call to see if there was any way they would be willing to except $2500 to settle the judgment. I was then informed by the Finance company that my debt has been accruing 12% ever since and I now owe $9600. Well needless to say I haven't been able to satify a $5300 debt, there is no way that I am going to be able to pay $9600. I then explained that I could probably borrow another $500 and pay $3000. They then said that I would have to pay no less then 75% of the $9600 or If I sent a certified check immediately that they could "Maybe" accept 50% of the total $9600. Is there any way I can try to satisfy a percentage of the principal and not the entire interest accrued too?

ALawyer

Unless the VA state law allows interest to acrue at 12% I don't know why it is so high. Most states rates are lower, and do not compound.

If they know where you live and think you have assets they may come after you.

My suggestion -- get a lawyer in VA to write to them and offer $2500 cash (or whatever the lawyer suggests) for a total satisfaction. If the lawyer charges $500 you are still way ahead.

B

bellfamly

Additional Information on my previous post

I have attached a copy of the Virginia Statute regarding this matter. Does this shed any light on the subject, that might be of some use to me.

Judgments and Enforcement:

A money judgment obtained from the General District Court is enforceable for a period of ten (10) years and may be extended by Court Order for another ten (10) years. (VA Code 16.1-69.55.) Judgments obtained from the Circuit Court is generally enforceable for a period of twenty (20) years and may be extended by Court Order for another twenty (20) years. (VA Code 8.01-251.)

The State of Virginia permits Confession of Judgment. A debtor or his attorney-in-fact, acting under a Power of Attorney, may appear before the Clerk of the appropriate Court and sign a confession of judgment. The form of the confession of judgment must substantially conform to the format set forth in Virginia Code 8.01-436. When a judgment is confessed, the Clerk of the Court shall endorsed upon such confession, or attach thereto, his certificate in the format as prescribed in Virginia Code 8.01-437, and serve a certified copy of the Order upon the debtor or his attorney in fact within ten (10) days. A judgment by confession generally may be enforced in the same manner as a judgment issued by the Court. However, if the underlying obligation under the confession of judgment was for personal, family or household purposes, it may not be enforced until twenty-one (21) days after its entry to give the judgment debtor an opportunity to seek a court order to set it aside. (VA Code 8.01-433, 434.)

Every judgment becomes a lien on the judgment debtor's real property when it is recorded on the judgment lien docket of the clerk's office of the county or city where the land is situated. (VA Code 8.01-458.) A judgment creditor may execute the judgment by levying on the real and personal property of the judgment debtor, including the garnishment of wages. Generally, the amount of earnings which may be garnished may not exceed twenty-five percent (25%) of the judgment debtor's non-exempt disposable earning. (VA Code 34-29.) A garnishee-employer generally may charge and collect a fee of up to $10.00 from a judgment debtor for processing the garnishment summons. (VA Code 8.01-512.2.)

Foreign Judgments:

Any judgment, decree, or order of a court of the United States or of any other court is entitled to full faith and credit in the State of Virginia. (VA Code 8.01-465.1 et seq.) A judgment creditor may seek enforcement of a foreign judgment by filing an authenticated copy of the foreign state judgment, an affidavit setting forth the name and last known post office address of the judgment debtor and creditor in the appropriate court of Virginia, and payment of a prescribed fee. (Virginia Code 8.01-465.2, 8.01-465.3.) The Clerk of the Court, and the creditor, generally is required to send a notice of the filing of the foreign judgment to the judgment debtor. A foreign judgment has the same effect and is subject to the same procedures, defenses, and proceedings for reopening, vacating or staying as a judgment of any court in the State of Virginia. (VA Code 8.01-465.2.) However, a foreign judgment may not be enforced in the State of Virginia if it is more than ten (10) years old. (VA Code 8.01-252.)

Interest:

Legal rate: 8% per annum. (VA Code 6.1-330.53.) In a transaction involving goods and services on open accounts, interest at the legal rate may accrue sixty (60) days after mailing of a billing statement or invoice. (VA Code 6.1-330.77.1.)
Contract rate: 12% per annum except as to those rates otherwise permitted under other provisions of the Virginia Code. (VA Code 6.1-330.55.)
Judgment rate: 9% per annum, except that when a money judgment is entered in an action arising from a contract which specifies an agreed interest rate, either the judgment rate or the contract rate, whichever is higher, may apply. (VA Code 6.1-330.54.)

Exemptions:

In general, a debtor may claim exemption of his homestead and certain personal property from attachment and execution of a judgment, or in a bankruptcy proceeding. Virginia permits every householder exemption of real and personal property from creditor process arising out of a debt, an amount up to $5,000.00 in value, and an additional $500 in value for each dependent. (VA Code 34-4.) In addition, Virginia provides certain enumerated poor debtor's exemption. Some of these exemptions include the family Bible, wedding and engagement rings, family portraits and heirlooms not to exceed $5,000.00 in value, burial ground, wearing apparel, household furniture and furnishings, book, tools, and motor vehicle not to exceed $2,000 in value. (VA Code 34-26.) Court award or settlement proceeds from personal injury or wrongful death actions generally are also exempt. (VA Code 34-28.1.)

In a bankruptcy proceeding, a debtor, who is a resident of Virginia, is not permitted to elect the exemptions provided under the federal Bankruptcy Code even if the federal exemptions may be more beneficial in his situation. (VA Code 34-3.1.)

Statutes Of Limitations:

An action for the recovery of money or other damages generally must be filed within a statutory period of time or such action may be barred forever. Some of the time limitations relevant to credit and collection matters are as follows:

Written contract 5 years VA Code 8.01-246
Oral contract and open accounts 3 years
VA Code 8.01-246

Personal injuries 2 years VA Code 8.01-243
Property damages 5 years VA Code 8.01-243
Enforcement of deed of trust or mortgage 20 years
VA 8.01-241

General statute of limitation for personal action accruing on or after July 1, 1995, and not otherwise prescribed under the Virginia statutes. 2 years

VA Code 8.01-248

view in frame

D

David J. Miller

Just taking a stab to measure my personal aptitude at reading statute. Don't take me advice, wait for an attorney's.

It seems to say that a judgement can accrue interest at 9% unless your car loan was at a higher interest rate. Was your car loan at a 12% interest rate? For a used car in 1992, it wouldn't be surprising at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">