• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separated Husband's BK/Foreclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just A Fool

What is the name of your state? Oregon

Oh - I though I posted and now it disappeared. Poured out my heart. Can't do it all again.

I got remarried three years ago. Relocated with kids. All was bliss until I lost my job - company went under last fall. Hubby moved back to his old house. He had put me on title to the new one and provided "support" through the fall by giving me a credit card. Still thought we would reconcile when things straightened out. Got rehired but then laid off after three months. My income dropped from over 10K/month to less than 2K on UE.

Fast forward - only just got back to work again - much less salary. No reconciliation. The house is pending a NOD and foreclosure. I might have 90 days. Maybe a little more. Can't catch up on payments and he has filed BK too. I don't even make enough in take home to consider.

Now today a Sheriff shows up at my job with a court order for a medical bill on him which included me! I had just gotten paid and he took a $1000 right out of my purse! Which was what I was going to put in savings towards getting a rental in a couple months. And his creditors are calling me on all kinds of bills saying I am responsible - I only ever had one card he gave me! I pulled a credit report tonight and now my credit is trashed - there are 4 cards reporting me as a signer - all at 90 days.

I am just sitting here terrified what is to become of us. I didn't know you could end up responsible for your spouse's bills. I'm afraid to leave the house tomorrow - its not really mine and now police can show up and take whatever they want.

I thought this was a good man and I don't think he did any of this to be malicious - just was trying to give me what he thought I wanted. Now all I want is to come out of this with a roof over my head and enough to get by on.

Just A Fool

Oh and get this - I bought him a car and an still making payments on it as well as insurance and his health insurance premium - that's almost a $1000/month. Just a Fool.

Gregeney

What is your question?

You already think you are being foolish so the obvious thing to do would be to stop doing those things. A BK might be a good idea but financial info would have to be taken into account before deciding, i.e. equity and other assets.

puravida

Most bankruptcy attorneys give free consultations. Gather all your financials and vist a few of them and see what they say. Like the guy above said, try to be clear with your questions without telling stories.

What has happened to you definitely sucks. You have two choices. Feel sorry for your self or make a plan to change things.

I filed bankruptcy 2 and 1/2 years ago. It was one of the smartest things I have ever done.

Ladynred

I didn't know you could end up responsible for your spouse's bills
You can't !!! You're not even in a community property state, so you definitely can NOT be held liable for HIS debts. The medical bill is a bit different because you were the one providing the health insurance and were likely noted as the guarantor and financially responsible. The bad thing is, you were sued and you obviously have a judgment against you otherwise the sheriff would not have been able to do a thing. I'm even surprised at how that was handled... sheriffs deputies are not collectors, they serve papers. A levy against your bank account or a wage garnishment would be appropriate, taking money out of your purse -- very suspicious !!
Just watch your bank accounts because if there IS a judgment, they'll go after any money you have in the bank.

You need to stop paying anything FOR him. Let that go.. don't continue to be stuck on the hook. Bankruptcy will get you out from under that vehicle.

I would be very suspicious of those credit cards that supposedly have your name on them. If he added you as a JOINT account holder w/o your knowledge, or maybe he used your name and such and it's identity theft. If you were added as an authorized user, you are NOT liable. I would suspect the forgery or ID theft though. You need to call those creditors and find out EXACTLY what's going on there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">