• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Single Mom Trying To Fight Back But NEED HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am in a bit of mess :( My ex-husband has been fighting agressively to get out of his child support responsibilities, using legal loopholes and capitalizing on my incompetent former attorney and his untaxable in kind miltary allowances. I've been enmeshed in these matters for approaching 5 years agressively. We are going back to court for child support mod in September.
Question is I learned secondhand he filed bankruptcy in TX in Feb 01 and discharged a debt that had my name on it and I was unaware he even was using this account. I was young and stupid and didn't close accounts.
In Apr 01, the collectors began agressively harrassing me. It has hurt my credit and compounded with his not paying his share of the kids' medical/orthodontic expenses and getting out of 2 yrs of child support, retaining a new attorney to help straighten out the mess, I have been in a financial quandry. I haven't had the time or resources to pursue this especially given it's in TX.
Just saw the doc and he did in fact discharge the debt and not list me as a codebtor or notify me. I have requested all the statements and have a mountain of paperwork to support this. What are my rights? I'm thinking there is a criminal element. I paid off the debt last year (9000 debt paid off for 4700) so that I could get a better mortgage rate after refi this past month (out of a 2 year arm so as not to lose our house) but to no avail since I've been overextended just making ends meet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">