• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student loan default question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikec1088

I hope this is the right forum for this topic, as I could not find one specifically geared towards student loan debt questions. Anyway, my question is, what are the consequences of refusing to pay back your student loans? This is all a hypothetical scenario for right now, but in general, how damaging are the consequences? If I were to attend graduate school and pay for it with student loans, and then refuse to pay back those loans, other than wage garnishment, loss of tax refunds, ruination of my credit, and harassment by collection agencies, is there anything else anyone can do to punish me? I ask this as someone with plans in the near future to live off-the-grid and be as independent from mainstream society as possible, so lack of good credit is not much of an issue to me long-term potentially. My main concern is, would they be able to repossess any vehicles or property? Secondly, would moving abroad allow me to escape from repayment responsibilities? Would living in a country that does not use the U.S. reporting bureaus free me from that debt, or is there a way it could follow me around the world? Let's say I moved to a remote, small country with few ties to the U.S., somewhere like Uruguay or New Zealand perhaps. Would I be free to start over there fresh, or do they still have ways of getting to me and ruining my life?

Proserpina

I hope this is the right forum for this topic, as I could not find one specifically geared towards student loan debt questions. Anyway, my question is, what are the consequences of refusing to pay back your student loans? This is all a hypothetical scenario for right now, but in general, how damaging are the consequences? If I were to attend graduate school and pay for it with student loans, and then refuse to pay back those loans, other than wage garnishment, loss of tax refunds, ruination of my credit, and harassment by collection agencies, is there anything else anyone can do to punish me? I ask this as someone with plans in the near future to live off-the-grid and be as independent from mainstream society as possible, so lack of good credit is not much of an issue to me long-term potentially. My main concern is, would they be able to repossess any vehicles or property? Secondly, would moving abroad allow me to escape from repayment responsibilities? Would living in a country that does not use the U.S. reporting bureaus free me from that debt, or is there a way it could follow me around the world? Let's say I moved to a remote, small country with few ties to the U.S., somewhere like Uruguay or New Zealand perhaps. Would I be free to start over there fresh, or do they still have ways of getting to me and ruining my life?

Call the Embassies of the countries you mention and find out if they accept deadbeat immigrants.

The vast majority of countries require that the intended immigrant is sponsored by a citizen of that nation or has proof he can support himself financially.

JosephPrice

Refusing to repay money means serious consequences. It is not like other loans, it can be forgiven through bankruptcy. Every student loan has a grace period, these grace period allows to to move from student to financially stable. You have to be in touch with your loan servicer, if you are not able to pay right now then work with your loan service to set up deferment or forbearance. If you refuse to repay then you are likely to be in default. And if you are recently in default, then check the National Student Loan Data System to find out the way to get ride from these. Ask about loan rehabilitation if you can not repay the loan.

Proserpina

Refusing to repay money means serious consequences. It is not like other loans, it can be forgiven through bankruptcy. Every student loan has a grace period, these grace period allows to to move from student to financially stable. You have to be in touch with your loan servicer, if you are not able to pay right now then work with your loan service to set up deferment or forbearance. If you refuse to repay then you are likely to be in default. And if you are recently in default, then check the National Student Loan Data System to find out the way to get ride from these. Ask about loan rehabilitation if you can not repay the loan.

Read it again.

:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">