• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Successful bankruptcy, now oklahoma is coming after me for taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

You need to understand that they can and will be very aggressive in collecting it. Have you spoken to your bankruptcy attorney about this debt?...and the fact that you did not know it existed until yesterday?

In any case, if OK accepts an offer in compromise they are not allowed to go back on it.
If they accept it, then it's over because they require I send in a check with my offer... that's the risk. They coul dtake the money, and say ok it was declined, now pay us the remaining $14,000. That's what I'm worried about...

If i fight it in court, I'm wondering if a judge would say I have to pay, but order me to pay less than the total amount they're going after me for. Does anyone know that answer?

As for them coming after me, if I have to I'll stick with cash payments and income for the rest of my life before I pay $14,000 on a $3500 debt from 20 years ago, from a state I moved away from 20 years ago.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If they accept it, then it's over because they require I send in a check with my offer... that's the risk. They coul dtake the money, and say ok it was declined, now pay us the remaining $14,000. That's what I'm worried about...

If i fight it in court, I'm wondering if a judge would say I have to pay, but order me to pay less than the total amount they're going after me for. Does anyone know that answer?

As for them coming after me, if I have to I'll stick with cash payments and income for the rest of my life before I pay $14,000 on a $3500 debt from 20 years ago, from a state I moved away from 20 years ago.
Well, gosh darnit, that'll show 'em!

Hi,

Ok change of direction... please can someone give me some advice on this.

I just spoke with a tax attorney here in Texas. He told me, that since the Oklahoma taxes are unsecured, non-priority debt, that I should be able to have my bankruptcy atty reopen this case and discharge that debt, especially since it is so old, and since I was in a 100% full-payment chapter 13 plan.

Does anyone know if that's true? I'm going to set an appt with my bankruptcy atty after I get the information in the mail from the collection agency.

Thanks

LdiJ

Hi,

Ok change of direction... please can someone give me some advice on this.

I just spoke with a tax attorney here in Texas. He told me, that since the Oklahoma taxes are unsecured, non-priority debt, that I should be able to have my bankruptcy atty reopen this case and discharge that debt, especially since it is so old, and since I was in a 100% full-payment chapter 13 plan.

Does anyone know if that's true? I'm going to set an appt with my bankruptcy atty after I get the information in the mail from the collection agency.

Thanks
I really do think its a good idea to talk to your bankruptcy attorney. I am not certain that anything can be done, but I am also not certain that something cannot be done. You need to have that consult.

Proserpina

Because there is a fulcrum point where I'm willing to pay... and a point where, beyond that, I'll refuse. That amount is around $5k. After that, they can come try and collect it.
Einstein,

Do you realize exactly how horrendous they can be in collecting that debt?

Do you have any idea what they can do to affect you for DECADES to come?

What, you're going to stay off the grid until you die?

Good luck with that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">