• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unauthorized use of credit card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DancingDeb

My x-boyfriend took my credit card out of my purse and made charges on it. Can I press charges against him or should I contact the credit card company and they will press charges? What are my rights?

T

Tracey

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DancingDeb:
My x-boyfriend took my credit card out of my purse and made charges on it. Can I press charges against him or should I contact the credit card company and they will press charges? What are my rights?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your rights depend on your credit card agreement, state/federal laws, and whether you ever let your ex use your card in the past. You are probably liable for the first $50 of unauthorized charges.

Call the card company and ask them how to file a complaint and tell them that you dispute the charge. Follow up with a letter! _Written_ notice of a disputed charge means the company can't try to collect the money or charge you interest on your ex's purchases. You have to dispute the charge within 30-60 days of receiving the statement.

You can press charges against your ex. Go to the police station and file a complaint for theft/larceny. The police may try to talk you out of it 'cause it's a penny-ante crime and they don't want to bother, but stand firm. You have a right to file a complaint and they have to let you. If you live outside city limits, go to the sheriff'f office.

You can also sue your ex in small claims court. It costs about $30-50, which you get back when you win. (Don't bother unless he's employed or has money so you can garnish his wages.) The charge company probably won't bother suing him for you. If you haven't paid the charge company, you have to notify them of the suit. They will file a lien on the judgment so that they get the money for the charge instead you. You get reimbursed for your costs and the $50 first, though.

-----------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: You are NOT my client and I DO NOT guarantee this advice is complete or accurate for your situation. Beware! : )

D

DancingDeb

thank you for the great advice. It was very helpful. I am a divorced mother of 3 living on a single income and cannot afford to hire a lawyer for advice and very much appreciate your help. Thanks again.
DEB

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">