• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

URGENT QUESTION: Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PandoraZx

What is the name of your state? CA

I just filed bankruptcy, but now (my boyfriend) who I am living with is beibng forced into bankruptcy as well because they are about to start garnishing his check.

My question is... the reason for the garnishment is that he hasabout $800 worth of court fines - one from an at fault accident with minor damage to the other vehicle, being without insurance... and the rest is traffic related... no drugs or alcohol involved. Can those debts be discharged??

I need to know before we file for him because if it can't be discharged, it's not worth a whole lot... he also has a lot of other debt, but no one coming after him yet.... What do we do? Please help... we will lose almost everything if he gets 25% of his check taken... we won't be able to afford to eat or buy gas... and we are already living as cheaply as possible!

Thank you all,

Leann

Some Random Guy

Bankruptcy over $800 in debts? This is pathetic.

have him get a second job or some work on the side. Yes, the hours suck, but that's what you have to do when you can't cut expenses any more.

Ladynred

How much OTHER debt DOES he have and is he paying those ??
I doubt the $800 in fines will be dischargeable, but the rest probably is

PandoraZx

Some Random Guy said:
Bankruptcy over $800 in debts? This is pathetic.

have him get a second job or some work on the side. Yes, the hours suck, but that's what you have to do when you can't cut expenses any more.
Uh, sweetheart... don't assume. That is just what they are coming after him NOW for. And we BOTH already do work on the side, every single day... so you can take your foot out of your mouth now...

PandoraZx

Ladynred said:
How much OTHER debt DOES he have and is he paying those ??
I doubt the $800 in fines will be dischargeable, but the rest probably is
Hi Lady,

In total he has about $30,000 total... no credit cards, just the $800 in fines plus several medical bills w/o insurance. I asked my lawyer, and she said that traffic ticket fines were not dischargable... so I am not sure what we are going to do. He can file for everything else though.

Ladynred

Yes, that would at least relieve a large burden, medical providers DO tend to sue.

On the garnishment, he does have the right to appeal it if its going to be a hardship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">