• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage Garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Orion Brown

What is the name of your state? Illinois. I have a wage garnishment against me at my part-time job. I am a full-time student, and I cannot pay all of my bills. Is there any way for this wage garnishment to be lifted from me? If the answer is no, do I have any other options? Thank you for any help you can provide.

seniorjudge

Orion Brown said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois. I have a wage garnishment against me at my part-time job. I am a full-time student, and I cannot pay all of my bills. Is there any way for this wage garnishment to be lifted from me? If the answer is no, do I have any other options? Thank you for any help you can provide.
The only way to get it lifted is to pay it off.

Since you are not the head of the household (obviously) I doubt that there are any exemptions available to you.

But wait and see if others post any opinions.

CO19

Orion Brown said:
No, unfortunately, the garnishment is in place and options are limited.... you can quit your job, satisfy the judgment, or deal with the garn.

bigun

Well. since you posted this on a bk thread-bk will sure put a stop to it-assuming it's not court odered child/spousal support.
But, we'd need a lot more info before recommending bk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">