• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Went bankrupt in 2007 and now for 2015 taxes find a debt of more than $79,000

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dazedandconfu

Went bankrupt in 2007 in CT 06460 and now trying to do 2015 taxes find that a debt of more than $79,000 was forgiven for 2007 mortgage interest rates of a house I lost that same year 2007. Now trying to do 2015 taxes the forgiven debt counts as if they gave me that money, causing me to have to pay over $16,000 for this tax year, money I definitely do not have. I was never notified that I owed any money in the first place. Now in 2016 I get this form saying they forgive my debt, closing their account in October 2015. Baffled I called their company and they said I can dispute the matter by sending them a letter. I was never notified, had not a clue of what the form or debt was about until I called them. The form did not even have my name correctly on it, but it did have my social.

Any advise would be highly appreciated. Can they do this? How was I never notified and then this form just comes in?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

a little bird

Obama has extended the mortgage forgiveness debt relief act through 2017. So you should be able to file a certain form to have that income excluded.
Under the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act, taxpayers can generally exclude income resulting from the discharge of debt on their principal residence. Note: The IRS has not yet updated its website to reflect the extension of the act through Jan. 1, 2017.
I don't believe I can post any links? But it's Form 982.
Just google search Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">