• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does it take to go from Chapter 13 to Chapter 7??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? INDIANA

We hired an attorney last July to handle a bankruptcy for us. We assumed it would be a Chapter 7 because we were overwhelmed with debt (mostly medical) and we wanted a clean start. However, our attorney filed a Chapter 13, and my husbands' check is being garnished for $150.00/week ($600.00/month) Now our past due bills are being paid but we can't pay our CURRENT bills. I've heard about switching from one chapter to another. Can someone tell about that and what it takes to qualify to switch?

THANX,
Janet

ps.... we kept our home, and our car.....

Proserpina

We hired an attorney last July to handle a bankruptcy for us. We assumed it would be a Chapter 7 because we were overwhelmed with debt (mostly medical) and we wanted a clean start. However, our attorney filed a Chapter 13, and my husbands' check is being garnished for $150.00/week ($600.00/month) Now our past due bills are being paid but we can't pay our CURRENT bills. I've heard about switching from one chapter to another. Can someone tell about that and what it takes to qualify to switch?

THANX,
Janet

You can start here with NOLO's basic outline: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/converting-your-bankruptcy-case-from-chapter-13-chapter-7.html

There is also an incredibly helpful forum over at www.bkforum.com, and they really do know their stuff - they also have several attorneys on board.

Why did your lawyer file a Chapter 13 as opposed to a 7?
We don't know, but our situation has since grown worse..... our home caught fire last November, and we had no insurance. We let it lapse 3 months earlier because we couldn't afford the premium. My husband depleted his 401K to come up with enough money to get our home livable again. We're hoping to move back in Jan. 1st..... In 6 more months, they will begin taking more money from his paycheck to reimburse the 401K account. My husband works 6 days a week, 8 hours overtime, and currently brings home 480.00 a week. We receive "statements" every few months and they show that we are paying this lawyer $187.00 a month for his "services". The last time we called him, he told us he would need to petition the court for more money because of "all of the time he was spending on our case". Someone point us, please, in the right direction. Bankruptcy is supposed to help you, not make things worse.

quincy

We don't know, but our situation has since grown worse..... our home caught fire last November, and we had no insurance. We let it lapse 3 months earlier because we couldn't afford the premium. My husband depleted his 401K to come up with enough money to get our home livable again. We're hoping to move back in Jan. 1st..... In 6 more months, they will begin taking more money from his paycheck to reimburse the 401K account. My husband works 6 days a week, 8 hours overtime, and currently brings home 480.00 a week. We receive "statements" every few months and they show that we are paying this lawyer $187.00 a month for his "services". The last time we called him, he told us he would need to petition the court for more money because of "all of the time he was spending on our case". Someone point us, please, in the right direction. Bankruptcy is supposed to help you, not make things worse.
Perhaps it is time to consult with a different attorney.

FlyingRon

Can we "fire" our current lawyer? What about the trustee??
With difficulty, you can get rid of the lawyer.
It would be extremely difficult to get rid of the trustee. Understand that the trustee doesn't represent you, he represents the creditors.

converting from Chapter 13 to Chapter 7

THANX,
Janet

If we do convert to a Chapter 7, do we have to give up our home?

LdiJ

If we do convert to a Chapter 7, do we have to give up our home?
It depends on how much equity you have in your home and your car.

Here is a pretty comprehensive list of the assets exemptions for Indiana:

http://www.indianabankruptcy.com/exemptions.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">