• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

withholding college transcripts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

headphones_2

What is the name of your state? Il
Hi, Ive recently filed bankruptcy and I listed one of my colleges on it. Its already been discharged and official and now my college says that they will never release my transcripts because I have a balance. The problem is that I cant get into any other school without official transcripts. Is it legal for them to withhold my transcripts? And how can I get them back?

HomeGuru

headphones_2 said:
What is the name of your state? Il
Hi, Ive recently filed bankruptcy and I listed one of my colleges on it. Its already been discharged and official and now my college says that they will never release my transcripts because I have a balance. The problem is that I cant get into any other school without official transcripts. Is it legal for them to withhold my transcripts? And how can I get them back?
**A: simple. Pay them the money that you owe. It is called cash for transcripts.

Ladynred

Have I got some info for you !!! I just found this today:

"..if you file for bankruptcy and receive a discharge of the loan, the school can NO LONGER withhold your records. (In re Gustafson, 111 B.R. 282 (9th Cir. BAP, 1990)).

In addition, while your bankruptcy case is pending, the school cannot withhold your transcript even if the court eventually rules your school loan is nondischargable. (Loyola University v. McClarty, 234 B.R. 386 (E.D. La. 1999))"

Looks to me that with this case law on your side, you should be able to get your transcripts !

Anybody got a case-law source to pull these cases ??

K

kevinss

I know this is an old thread, but I have an additional question. Do you know if this applies to, say, a catholic high school withholding transcripts in the same manner?
I have a friend in this situation, and she's looking forward to going to college. Her parents' BK caused this situation, unfortunately. Bad divorce.
TIA.

Ladynred

The premise and the situation is basically the same, so I would think the same case law could be applied to your friends advantage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">