• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worried Spouse-Chapter 7

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunnysol

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

My husband and I have been married for 14 years.
Assets: Home- in my name only
Vehicles--my name only

Husband is not on any joint account with me and I am not on any of his accounts either.
My husband had excellent credit until he was deported in 2009. I could not afford to make any credit card payments for him while he was deported and creditors hounded me. Thankfully, the immigration issue was resolved and he was able to return to the US legally in 2012. He has been in school and has applied for student loans and has only one year left. I cannot afford to make any payments on his cards as I am floating the boat with two children and paying mortgage, car note and my own credit card balances. Husband works part time--earning $3,000 per year for the last 2 years. I earn nearly $80,000.

Question: Does husband qualify for Chapter 7? He only has credit card debt of $25,000.

Question: If so, will the credit car companies come after me after the debt is discharged? I am not a cosigner on his cards. And, will it affect my credit rating.

Question: I'm concerned that my salary will make him ineligible for Chapter 7? What do you think?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

My husband and I have been married for 14 years.
Assets: Home- in my name only
Vehicles--my name only

Husband is not on any joint account with me and I am not on any of his accounts either.
My husband had excellent credit until he was deported in 2009. I could not afford to make any credit card payments for him while he was deported and creditors hounded me. Thankfully, the immigration issue was resolved and he was able to return to the US legally in 2012. He has been in school and has applied for student loans and has only one year left. I cannot afford to make any payments on his cards as I am floating the boat with two children and paying mortgage, car note and my own credit card balances. Husband works part time--earning $3,000 per year for the last 2 years. I earn nearly $80,000.

Question: Does husband qualify for Chapter 7? He only has credit card debt of $25,000.

Question: If so, will the credit car companies come after me after the debt is discharged? I am not a cosigner on his cards. And, will it affect my credit rating.

Question: I'm concerned that my salary will make him ineligible for Chapter 7? What do you think?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
He really needs to consult a bankruptcy attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">