• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$1,000 M/O taken in walmart, Moneygram would not stop payment, who can I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ja6575

I was in walmart 2 days ago, and needed to buy a Money order. I hardly ever buy Money Orders. After buying the MO , I placed it, along with other papers I was carrying in the child section of the cart.I then did a small amount of shopping (1 bag) As I walked out of the store I grabbed the bag , leaving the cart near the entrance along with the papers and the MO. As I got to my vehicle I realized my mistake and ran back, the cart was left unattended for about 30 seconds…the store was not at all crowded. When I got back the papers were already missing, there was an employee arranging the carts , I asked him what happened to the papers , he said he threw everything out, thinking it was garbage and claimed there was no MO. I went through the garbage and there was no MO. but all the other papers were there. I then went back to the counter to have them stop payment , they got Moneygram on the phone and I was told that they could not stop payment on a blank MO. I had the receipt which printed out a unique serial number of the MO. In the meantime , a local police officer came by to find what was going on, he said they wouldn’t do anything since I left the MO in the cart, but store security said they would review the camera footage. That was June 15th. I went back to the store today June17th and talked to store security ,he said he reviewed the footage but couldn’t find anything, he also added that walmart is cheap and hardly has any cameras, most are fakes, and the few they do have are low resolution and are at the wrong angles.

The clerks at the money center and Moneygram said a blank MO is like cash and you should fill out the make payable section before leaving the counter, there is no sign that says this, and they don’t tell you this.

I found out today, June 17th that the MO was cashed on June 16th

I believe Moneygram is most negligent for not stopping payment, or not being able to stop payment. I also believe Walmart is somewhat negligent for not having posted a sign advising customers to fill out the pay to section before leaving the counter.

What do you think? I think they are both negligent, I can’t afford to lose that money, who can I sue?

mlane58

I was in walmart 2 days ago, and needed to buy a Money order. I hardly ever buy Money Orders. After buying the MO , I placed it, along with other papers I was carrying in the child section of the cart.I then did a small amount of shopping (1 bag) As I walked out of the store I grabbed the bag , leaving the cart near the entrance along with the papers and the MO. As I got to my vehicle I realized my mistake and ran back, the cart was left unattended for about 30 seconds…the store was not at all crowded. When I got back the papers were already missing, there was an employee arranging the carts , I asked him what happened to the papers , he said he threw everything out, thinking it was garbage and claimed there was no MO. I went through the garbage and there was no MO. but all the other papers were there. I then went back to the counter to have them stop payment , they got Moneygram on the phone and I was told that they could not stop payment on a blank MO. I had the receipt which printed out a unique serial number of the MO. In the meantime , a local police officer came by to find what was going on, he said they wouldn’t do anything since I left the MO in the cart, but store security said they would review the camera footage. That was June 15th. I went back to the store today June17th and talked to store security ,he said he reviewed the footage but couldn’t find anything, he also added that walmart is cheap and hardly has any cameras, most are fakes, and the few they do have are low resolution and are at the wrong angles.

The clerks at the money center and Moneygram said a blank MO is like cash and you should fill out the make payable section before leaving the counter, there is no sign that says this, and they don’t tell you this.

I found out today, June 17th that the MO was cashed on June 16th

I believe Moneygram is most negligent for not stopping payment, or not being able to stop payment. I also believe Walmart is somewhat negligent for not having posted a sign advising customers to fill out the pay to section before leaving the counter.

What do you think? I think they are both negligent, I can’t afford to lose that money, who can I sue?
You are kidding right? Why should Walmart or Moneygram be negligent? You are the one that was negligent for leaving the money order behind. What a maroon!

swalsh411

Your recourse would be against the person who stole/cashed it, just like if you left some cash in your cart or your checkbook.

Have you never used checks before? It's no different. A blank money order is like a blank, signed, check.

Did you use moneygram or did you get a money order? They are different. One is like a check which I assume you can stop payment on some how. The other is a money transfer service in which you select another location to send the money, give the person a conf #, and they go pick it up.

I am assuming you got a MO, so they should have been able to put a stop payment on it. No different then it bring lost in the mail and doing the same thing. It should not matter whose name is on it or not, it should be able to be detected by the numbers, not the name. I am sure they can look up the account to where it was deposited and find out who it is. I am sure there are privacy laws, but in a case of fraud I am sure they have something in place to retrieve the money.

Last edited:

mlane58

Did you use moneygram or did you get a money order? They are different. One is like a check which I assume you can stop payment on some how. The other is a money transfer service in which you select another location to send the money, give the person a conf #, and they go pick it up.

I am assuming you got a MO, so they should have been able to put a stop payment on it. No different then it bring lost in the mail and doing the same thing. It should not matter whose name is on it or not, it should be able to be detected by the numbers, not the name. I am sure they can look up the account to where it was deposited and find out who it is. I am sure there are privacy laws, but in a case of fraud I am sure they have something in place to retrieve the money.
A money order is like cash, so you can't put a stop payment on it. You would have to have the actual money order uncashed in hand in order for it to be cancelled.

A money order is like cash, so you can't put a stop payment on it. You would have to have the actual money order uncashed in hand in order for it to be cancelled.
I thought it was more like a certified check. Third party holding the money is the company used to issue which certifies the money is available and there is no chance of NSF.

What do I do if the Money Order I purchased is lost or stolen? How can I get my money back?

Please submit a claim card for a replacement/refund.

I lost my Money Order and it was NOT filled out (it was blank). How can I get my money back?

If you are the purchaser and you have the money order number and the money order was not filled out before it was lost, you may request a replacement through a claim card. If the Money Order remains uncashed throughout the processing timeframe a replacement will be sent to you. If the money order has been cashed, your money order will not be replaced or refunded. Instead, a photocopy will be sent to you, provided the $15.00 fee was included with the claim card.

MoneyGram recommends you always fill out your Money Order completely as soon as it is purchased.
Requesting photocopies of a Money Order

You can find out who cashed your MoneyGram Money Order by requesting a photocopy. You will receive a front and back copy of the money order which will show you who endorsed and cashed the money order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">