• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14 year old bound to an unsigned contract!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

speedyrace30

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Michigan

We live in Michigan and my 14 year old son recently put on "layaway"at the local bike store a $400.00 bike...we told him he was crazy and that he was going to get a moped at 15 and not to do it...but of course the owner of the bike store convinced him, he would always have the bike and it would be a good investment. Well my son is now 15 and has a moped, and recently went to the bike store to ask for his $170 plus dollars that he had put down, only to find out the owner said he has a 20% restocking fee for cancelled orders. Well ok...if my son was 21...I could understand it...if my son even signed something to the fact he was going to get charged a restocking fee of 20% of the $400 we could understand...but this was never discussed and my husband and I were never contacted to see if we agreed to this layaway.

My question is...can a 14 year old enter into a legal contract with a store owner??

Any ones advice or where I can find out would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you very much!!!! :confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

speedyrace30 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Michigan

We live in Michigan and my 14 year old son recently put on "layaway"at the local bike store a $400.00 bike...we told him he was crazy and that he was going to get a moped at 15 and not to do it...but of course the owner of the bike store convinced him, he would always have the bike and it would be a good investment. Well my son is now 15 and has a moped, and recently went to the bike store to ask for his $170 plus dollars that he had put down, only to find out the owner said he has a 20% restocking fee for cancelled orders. Well ok...if my son was 21...I could understand it...if my son even signed something to the fact he was going to get charged a restocking fee of 20% of the $400 we could understand...but this was never discussed and my husband and I were never contacted to see if we agreed to this layaway.

My question is...can a 14 year old enter into a legal contract with a store owner??

Any ones advice or where I can find out would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you very much!!!! :confused:

My response:

No, he cannot be held to the contract. All he (you) needs to do is write a Certified Return Receipt letter telling the owner that he disaffirms the contract and demands his money back immediately. If that doesn't work within 10 days, then sue the owner in Small Claims court.

IAAL

speedyrace30

Thanks!

Thank you very much for the reply...this is also what we had "figured" and just wanted some additional back up that we were correct in our thinking. I think I will be writing the owner a letter tomorrow demanding my sons money back as you say....anyone else with advice...please post!!! Thanks!!! :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

speedyrace30 said:
....anyone else with advice...please post!!! Thanks!!! :)

My response:

There's nothing more to post. That's the law, and that's the end of it. Yours in not a U.S. Supreme Court constitutional question!

Write your letter.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">