• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17ye old& Adult signed agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rluck99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?virginia
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VIRGINIA
My child age 17 signed an agreement to pay for uniforms and gear for a sport in High School. I also signed this. My child is 17.
We are having severe financial difficulties and at this time find it hard to pay even a little bit.
The school is now trying to tell my child that they cant participate in another sport or maybe in some school activities.
I think that because my child isn't an adult and able to legally agree to anything, that they should come after me.
It's fine if they sue me.
They are trying to get me to sign a new agreement with specific repayment terms. I think maybe the 1st agreement inst
going to be able to be an enforceable document or there's some problem with that.
Any advice or direction would help Thanks

Last edited:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?virginia
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VIRGINIA
My child age 17 signed an agreement to pay for uniforms and gear for a sport in High School. I also signed this. My child is 17.
We are having severe financial difficulties and at this time find it hard to pay even a little bit.
The school is now trying to tell my child that they cant participate in another sport or maybe in some school activities.
I think that because my child isn't an adult and able to legally agree to anything, that they should come after me.
It's fine if they sue me.
They are trying to get me to sign a new agreement with specific repayment terms. I think maybe the 1st agreement inst
going to be able to be an enforceable document or there's some problem with that.
Any advice or direction would help Thanks
The school isn't going to bother waiting for you to be sued. I'm sure that it would be OK if they sued you, especially considering you have no intention of ever paying. They are going to protect themselves by barring participation BEFORE it becomes a problem.

There's nothing that says your son MUST participate in school sports or other activities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">