• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 yr old & friends driving on vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mary Jarstfer

i have an 18 yr old child who wants to drive my car from ohio to myrtle beach with 3 other friends, ages 17 & 18. she will be driving along with the other 18 year old. is there anything we should do to protect ourselves in case of an accident?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Mary Jarstfer said:
i have an 18 yr old child who wants to drive my car from ohio to myrtle beach with 3 other friends, ages 17 & 18. she will be driving along with the other 18 year old. is there anything we should do to protect ourselves in case of an accident?
My response:

I realize she is your "child", but according to Federal law, this "child" is an adult.

Therefore, since this "adult" wants to use your property, and you would share liability, along with the fact that it is reasonably foreseeable an accident may occur, coupled with the fact that an 18 year old doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of driving experience, I would say,

"Sure, sweetheart - - as soon as you buy 1 million dollars in liability, collision and medical coverages, with an "Umbrella Policy" for 1 million dollars more, you are welcome to drive anywhere with my car you want. Otherwise, get your own car."

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">