+ Reply to Thread
    Mary Jarstfer Guest
    i have an 18 yr old child who wants to drive my car from ohio to myrtle beach with 3 other friends, ages 17 & 18. she will be driving along with the other 18 year old. is there anything we should do to protect ourselves in case of an accident?
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by Mary Jarstfer
    i have an 18 yr old child who wants to drive my car from ohio to myrtle beach with 3 other friends, ages 17 & 18. she will be driving along with the other 18 year old. is there anything we should do to protect ourselves in case of an accident?
    My response:

I realize she is your "child", but according to Federal law, this "child" is an adult.

Therefore, since this "adult" wants to use your property, and you would share liability, along with the fact that it is reasonably foreseeable an accident may occur, coupled with the fact that an 18 year old doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of driving experience, I would say,

"Sure, sweetheart - - as soon as you buy 1 million dollars in liability, collision and medical coverages, with an "Umbrella Policy" for 1 million dollars more, you are welcome to drive anywhere with my car you want. Otherwise, get your own car."

Good luck to you.

IAAL