• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Day Sales Cancellation Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MouseClick

What is the name of your state: California.

I was never offered a 2 days sales cancellation contract for a car I bought yesterday. I read in the California Car Buyer's Bill of Rights that it must be offered. What do I do if I wasn't offered this opportunity?

Also, can a dealership sell the car you traded in if they did not get permission from both people on the pink slip and without the pink slip?

Thanks in advance!

Banned_Princess

You obviously didnt read the "bill of rights" you spoke of.

First sentance ...

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/billrights_top.htm

A new law establishing the “Car Buyer’s Bill of Rights” substantially impacts the purchase of new and used vehicles. This new law, which takes effect July 1, 2006, affects retail vehicle sales handled by licensed car dealers in California.

This new law does not apply to transactions between private parties, motorcycles, or off-highway vehicles

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Where does the poster say that she bought the car from a private party? Just because it was a used car does not mean that it was from a private party. I've bought used cars from dealerships. And under the link that YOU posted, she MUST be offered the 2-day cancellation for a used car, as well.

Banned_Princess

I'm sorry, did you not note where it specifically states that the bill does not apply to private persons sale?

It's right there...

it even says...

There is no "cooling off" period unless you obtain a contract cancellation option. . Consumers who purchase a used car for less than $40,000 must be given an opportunity to purchase a two-day Contract Cancellation Option Agreement.

So, did he buy that option? seems to me if he did, he wouldnt be here asking how to cancel, after not buying the cancilation option.

Last edited:

MouseClick

The car was purchased from a dealer. When I found out that it was a part of the bill of rights that I be offered that contract, I went to the dealer to speak to the person who sold me the car. However, he wasn't there. So I'm asking now because I'm unsure of what to do.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
B_P the point is not whether it applies to private party sales. The point is whether or not THIS sale was a private party sale.

You appear to be assuming that because it was a used car, it was automatically a private party sale. THE POSTER NEVER SAID THAT. In fact, she makes references to a dealership.

So, why do you think that the law regarding private party sales is applicable to this post?

Banned_Princess

and furthermore...

Important: The contract cancellation option does not apply to used cars priced at $40,000 or more, new cars, private party sales, motorcycles, off-road vehicles, recreational vehicles, or vehicles sold for business or commercial use.

Banned_Princess

The car was purchased from a dealer. When I found out that it was a part of the bill of rights that I be offered that contract, I went to the dealer to speak to the person who sold me the car. However, he wasn't there. So I'm asking now because I'm unsure of what to do.
do you want to bring the car back?

you could speak to a manager...

you will have to pay a fee for returning the car.

sorry about the quick to judge, jump over the edge assumption.

MouseClick

The car was under $40,000 and yes I would like to return it. However, since I was not offered the cancellation contract even though I was supposed have been I really don't know what to do or what to say to the dealer.

Banned_Princess

The car was under $40,000 and yes I would like to return it. However, since I was not offered the cancellation contract even though I was supposed have been I really don't know what to do or what to say to the dealer.
I would go first thing in the morning to the dealer, and speak to a manager.

Tell him you were not offered a cancellation clause per state law, and now I want to return the car, per state guidelines.

MouseClick

Thank you both very much for your help. As for my second question. Are they able to sell a car without the pink slip and without consent from both owners?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">