• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2016 Hyundai Elantra design flaw?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jman17774

My 2016 Hyundai Elantra A/C stopped working last week. So I took it in to the dealership to see if whatever was wrong with it could be covered under warranty since my car is less than a year old. They said no, because the A/C condenser was punctured by a foreign object. I said okay and asked how much is it going to cost to fix. They said $800! I can't afford that. So I looked at where the condenser was located and itsee directly underneath the grill for air flow purposes. However, the Hyundai Elantra has a MAJOR design flaw as to allow foreign objects into the condenser area to begin with!

So, in conclusion, so you think I have a legal case to pursue the warranty repair of said A/C?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My 2016 Hyundai Elantra A/C stopped working last week. So I took it in to the dealership to see if whatever was wrong with it could be covered under warranty since my car is less than a year old. They said no, because the A/C condenser was punctured by a foreign object. I said okay and asked how much is it going to cost to fix. They said $800! I can't afford that. So I looked at where the condenser was located and itsee directly underneath the grill for air flow purposes. However, the Hyundai Elantra has a MAJOR design flaw as to allow foreign objects into the condenser area to begin with!

So, in conclusion, so you think I have a legal case to pursue the warranty repair of said A/C?
You do understand that just about every vehicle on the road has the same basic design, right? The condenser sits in front of the radiator to allow for airflow. You just had bad luck.

Jman17774

You do understand that just about every vehicle on the road has the same basic design

Yes, I am well aware of the design reason. HOWEVER, having HUGE holes in that region of the car instead of oh I don't know, thin spaced wire maybe?

The design is at fault. Not me, the consumer.

Zigner

Yes, I am well aware of the design reason. HOWEVER, having HUGE holes in that region of the car instead of oh I don't know, thin spaced wire maybe?

The design is at fault. Not me, the consumer.
I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I simply said that you had bad luck.

The design is not at fault - for decades, cars have been built the same way. Furthermore, what good do you think a sliver of plastic is in protecting your vehicle from a highway-speed impact?

Jman17774

I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I simply said that you had bad luck.

The design is not at fault - for decades, cars have been built the same way. Furthermore, what good do you think a sliver of plastic is in protecting your vehicle from a highway-speed impact?
Apologies. I didn't mean to insinuate you said I was at fault. I was just saying that as a statement.

To your second question/point, whoever said the slover of plastic was there to protect the vehicle in any way shape or form?
I think we may be on two different pages a out what the issue is. Or maybe you're just going off on an unrelated tangent.
;)

Zigner

Apologies. I didn't mean to insinuate you said I was at fault. I was just saying that as a statement.

To your second question/point, whoever said the slover of plastic was there to protect the vehicle in any way shape or form?
I think we may be on two different pages a out what the issue is. Or maybe you're just going off on an unrelated tangent.
;)
The point I am making is that the design of your vehicle is the same (very similar at least) to MILLIONS of vehicles that are on the road. An object flew up and managed to get inside to your condenser. Bad luck, not a bad design.

Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, Kia...they all have the same basic design. There's no way to prevent it while still allowing enough air to flow over the condenser and radiator for proper operation.

xylene

Take your car to an independent repair shop.
Your car most likely needs a condenser and a recharge.
Depending on the puncture the condenser could even be repairable.
The dealer is not going to go with the lowest cost option, they are going to go with dealer labor and OE part plus dealer markup.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">