• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

22 yr old stepson racks up >$1000 phone bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aprsrocketman

What is the name of your state? Texas

22 year old son of soon to be ex-wife was here in November-December 2002. After a trip to Florida, he showed up unannounced in early November, nearly ate us out of house and home again, and promptly started tying up the phone line surfing the net whenever I was at work or asleep.

Starting in December, he got the bright idea that if the local (Midland-Odessa) AOL dial-up was busy, to call El Paso, San Angelo, and Abilene's dial-up. Just because they are in the 915 area code, does not make these local calls.

The tab is in the 4 figures.

He and my soon to be ex wife moved out on December 30th, and I got a call from the phone company fraud unit on January 2nd.

I had previously had 900 numbers blocked and 3rd party billing disabled because of his phone abuse the prior summer, but the worst was only about $60 or so.

My own long distance rarely goes over $5, for the past decade.

Do I have any recourse against the phone company, or against deadbeat stepson? Should it be civil, or criminal? Can I force the phone company to eat it?

He did NOT have permission to do what he did. All of these calls were made without my knowledge or consent. I have gotten nowhere with the phone company, and they claim I have to pay the bill. Do I just have to do without a phone for the next 7 to 10 years while dodging collection agencies? What options do I have, and how do I assert and exercise them?

Can I confiscate any remaining personal property he has left in my house? Has he committed anything I could press charges for? Would it be state or federal?

Also my soon to be ex is fed up with his antics as well, and is willing to testify in any action against him.

Z

zappy

well he is your LOSER son, and he did use your phone so you will have to pay the bill or else.

Then you can sue sonnyboy for the money and ruin HIS credit.

And you know to write him OUT of your will.

JETX

Ignore Crappy. He is a forum troll and likes to prove his ignorance in his posts.

"Do I have any recourse against the phone company, or against deadbeat stepson?"
*** You have no recourse against the phone company or AOL. The decision to use those long distance numbers was solely his.... and the responsibility for being aware of them and paying them is yours.

"Should it be civil, or criminal?"
*** Neither (see below)

"Can I force the phone company to eat it?"
*** No.

"He did NOT have permission to do what he did. All of these calls were made without my knowledge or consent. I have gotten nowhere with the phone company, and they claim I have to pay the bill. Do I just have to do without a phone for the next 7 to 10 years while dodging collection agencies? What options do I have, and how do I assert and exercise them?"
*** You have NO options against the phone company. They provide a service, you agreed to pay for the service, you are responsible for the usage on YOUR phone.

"Can I confiscate any remaining personal property he has left in my house?"
*** No. You can however send him a certified letter demanding that he contact you within the next 10 days (or so) to arrange to recover his property. Include a statement that if he doesn't contact you, then the property will incur storage charges of ____ per day for an additional 30 days. Finally, if still no contact you will dispose of his property with the proceeds, if any, used to pay accrued costs.

"Has he committed anything I could press charges for?"
*** No.

"Would it be state or federal?"
*** Neither

The only thing you can do is to try to negotiate a reduced or scheduled payment with the phone company, then you can consider filing a lawsuit (small claims) against the person to recover your damages (expenses incurred due to his actions). However, based on your information, there is probably little chance that the little sob would have the money to pay the judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">