• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 day cooling off for in home purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Airick66

I was approached at my home by a person selling blinds and window furnishings. They left a flyer and I called to get an in home estimate a few days later. They came and pressured me into a sale in my home. I signed a contract stating that sales were not cancelable or refundable, but was never presented with the required 3 day right of recission form for in-home / door-to-door sales. I called the company after they left to cancel, but they stated that I could not due to the blinds already being in production. Do I still have consumer rights in this case?

FlyingRon

A form isn't strictly required. There needs to be a BUYER'S RIGHT TO CANCEL notice (and either the Virginia form or something consistent with the federal law). Even if it's not there, you still have the right to cancel. Any clause in the contract that waives your right of rescission is illegal and void. If your three days are not yet up, mail the cancellation (I'd get proof of mailing). It's effective as soon as you hand it over to the post office. If you don't have a form just write saying:

I hearby cancel the transaction with CONTRACTOR at YOUR ADDRESS. Sign and date it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">