• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3-Day Cooling Off Period?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whitewlf

Greetings,

Legal question for you all: Today I bought a club membership. Looked like a good deal and I paid for it all up front. After reading the new member packet I realized that the club was a much worse deal than I thought. I also realized that the numbers that had been thrown around to show how good a deal it was were, if not dishonest, at least very misleading.

Someone I know mentioned that there is a 3-day "cooling off" period for this sort of thing and that I should be able to cancel. I reasearched it on the internet and found that I had to meet the following requirements:
1. The fee has to have been more than $25. (it was)
2. The goods or services have to be primarily for personal, family or household purposes. (they are)
3. The deal can't have made entirely by mail or telephone. (it wasn't)
4. The deal can't have been the result of prior negotiations at the seller's permanent business location where the goods are sold regularly. (?)
5. The deal can't have been regarding emergency goods or services. (it wasn't)
6. The deal can't have been part of a request for the seller to do repairs or maintenance on my personal property. (it wasn't)

Does number 4 doom me here? I was on site at their company when they made the pitch and I signed it. Does that count as "prior negotiations"? It went from start to finish in an hour.

Thanks so much for helping me here. Even if it turns out that I have no way to escape this I'd like to at least make sure.

Sincerely,
whitewlf

W

whitewlf

I live in Chicago, Illinois and the payment I makese me a member of the club and allows me to take part in club activities for the next 3 years.

-whitewlf

JETX

Again, "WHAT WAS THE CONTRACT FOR????"

If this 'club' was a health club, you MAY have cancellation rights. If it was a gay 'club', you don't have rights. If it was a 'drinking and gambling' club, you don't have rights. If it was a 'timeshare' club, you have rights.

And if you can't answer the questions sufficiently for us to understand what your case is, you have NO rights.

W

whitewlf

?!?

Calm down. I wasn't sure what you were asking. I did not realize that what the club did was important. It is a club that sets up social and travel (camping, hiking, dinners, parties) activities for its members.

-whitewlf

JETX

'Social clubs' are not included in the Illinoi '3 day cooling off' period.

You might want to contact an attorney to review your entire contract to see if there is another provision that would allow for cancellation or waiver.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">