• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3rd Party check cashing : Returned Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

delshaer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I manage a check cashing store in Alexandria, VA. I cashed a third party check for one of our customers. However the check returned saying the bank account was closed.

I tried contacting the check writer but did not receive a response. I contact the customer whom we give the cash to and he is not cooperating. Advising that he does not have the funds to pay us back and basically said he doesnt care. I even offered him to pay back in installments but still he was not cooperating.

Can i sue the customer i cashed the check to? How can i get my money back.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Some Random Guy

I manage a check cashing store in Alexandria, VA.
I am somewhat surprised at this. You claim to manage a check cashing store and yet you have no idea how to manage the main risk for your business - bad checks.

Please contact a local lawyer who can walk you through the mechanics of asserting your rights under these statutes

2006 Virginia Code - 8.01-27.2 - Civil recovery for giving bad check - Virginia 8.01-27.2 - Civil recovery for giving bad check :: Justia -- US Laws, Codes, Statutes & Cases -- Justia
2006 Virginia Code - 18.2-181 - Issuing bad checks, etc., larceny - Virginia 18.2-181 - Issuing bad checks, etc., larceny :: Justia -- US Laws, Codes, Statutes & Cases -- Justia

There are procedures you must follow in order to legally pursue the people who are defrauding you.

delshaer

Thank You

I am in the learning process. You are correct the main risk for this business is bad checks. This is why i posted my question. There was no need for your snotty response. I now know the legal procedures.

Hope you have a wonderful morning.

There was no need for your snotty response.
SRG wasn't being snotty. He was, IMO, simply responding with mild astonishment that you wouldn't have expected ~ and therefore learned the process in order to mitigate ~ this sort of problem prior to opening your doors.

Sort of like someone who wants to be a graphic artist, but has no idea how to use a pencil.

That's not a criticism. Plenty of new business owners find themselves over their head, so to speak. But he's still valid in expressing surprise.

Antigone*

I am in the learning process. You are correct the main risk for this business is bad checks. This is why i posted my question. There was no need for your snotty response. I now know the legal procedures.

Hope you have a wonderful morning.
Well, since you are in the learning process, why not Google "holder in due course" and see if applys to you; frankly I'm not in the mood.

Now, I was only being a touch snotty.:cool:

LMAO ~ it only took 4 months for this OP to come back to get his answer.:eek:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">