• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$5 to cash a Payroll Check drawn on that bank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

watrbedkev

What is the name of your state? MD

I am a server so I don't normally receive paychecks, so therefore I do not have direct deposit set up. When I did receive a bonus check from my company drawn on a Bank of America payroll check, they would not cash it in a Bank of America bank. They said there would be a $5 charge because I was not an account holder in that bank.

Perhaps I am so angry over the $5 charge because of what the bank manager explained the reasons behind the policy ;

She said repeatedly that they were not a check cashing service.
When I asked if I could cash a personal Bank of America paycheck, she that would be fine, and get this, there would be no service charge ? I don't understand the difference.

I'm not so sure about the legality of this practice...I know check cashing outlets are usually limited to 3% of the check or $5 whichever is greater....but a bank that will not cash their own check ???

Any info is appreciated.

JETX

"I'm not so sure about the legality of this practice...I know check cashing outlets are usually limited to 3% of the check or $5 whichever is greater....but a bank that will not cash their own check ???"
*** Regretably, what you are describing is not illegal. Simply another way for the banks to convert more of YOUR money into THEIR money. If you deposit the check into YOUR bank account there wouldn't be a charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">