• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

56 days for an Idaho auto dealer to renig on a trade-in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Outdoorfun1213

In Idaho, on December 21, 2009, I purchased a new vehicle from a dealership. I provided a trade-in as part of the transaction. When the salesman said they would look at my vehicle to give me an estimate, I informed him that it had a "salvage" title. I provided the title to the vehicle right there at the dealership during the transaction.

After we received the value of the trade-in, we accepted it, gave them the keys to the trade-in vehicle, signed all the papers, removed the license plates from the trade-in, and drove home in the new vehicle. They had everything for the trade-in at that time.

Today, 56 days after the transaction took place, I received a call from the dealership's used car manager, saying since the vehicle we traded had what he called a "branded" title, he couldn't sell it. He wanted to either give it back to us, for the price they gave us, or "work out a deal."

I told him I could not provide any answer right now, and needed to get back to him at a later date. My first inclination is to say "too bad" but I need to know what are my rights and what protections under any applicable Idaho or other laws exist.

Can anyone help?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

gogo589

A contract is a contract. The car dealer is supposed to be the expert. They should have known your trade in had a "branded" title. I say too bad for them. Stick to your guns.

cyjeff

And if they don't like pounding sand, tell them you'll be glad to return the car for a full refund and the return of your trade.

They'll probably begin to like the idea of pounding sand.
Considering that the salvaged car is still apparently on the lot, the dealer may take this offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">