• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

6 Months...No Financing..Now What?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

feelingscrewed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

In October 2012 I purchased a car through trade in, in Vancouver WA. My first set of paperwork is dated 10/5/12. A few weeks later they had me sign a second set of paperwork.

In November I started looking for where to make my car payment. I called the finance company on the contract as it was the same one as what was on my trade. They showed where the trade had been paid off, and the approval for the new car, but that it hadn't funded because the dealership failed to send them something. Then two weeks later I get a letter from the finance company that they are opting out of the contract.

I called the finance manager at the dealership (immediately after calling the finance company as well as when I got the letter) and he said he would look into it. Every month since I have reached out to him to try to get this fixed. I either don't get a response or I get told they are working on it.

Here it is March, almost 6 months later and my car is still not financed. Two days ago the dealership called me, the guy was sort of a jerk at first, he's not the one I've been dealing with. He's trying to get this fixed now.

I no longer live in Washington state. I've moved back to Alabama. Am I fixing to be without a car if they can't work this out? It's been almost 6 months!

Do I have any rights? My traded in car is most likely gone, so now what? I feel like I've done everything I could to get this taken care of. Am I gonna get stuck with some outrageous car payment now? Or maybe no car at all?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

In October 2012 I purchased a car through trade in, in Vancouver WA. My first set of paperwork is dated 10/5/12. A few weeks later they had me sign a second set of paperwork.

In November I started looking for where to make my car payment. I called the finance company on the contract as it was the same one as what was on my trade. They showed where the trade had been paid off, and the approval for the new car, but that it hadn't funded because the dealership failed to send them something. Then two weeks later I get a letter from the finance company that they are opting out of the contract.

I called the finance manager at the dealership (immediately after calling the finance company as well as when I got the letter) and he said he would look into it. Every month since I have reached out to him to try to get this fixed. I either don't get a response or I get told they are working on it.

Here it is March, almost 6 months later and my car is still not financed. Two days ago the dealership called me, the guy was sort of a jerk at first, he's not the one I've been dealing with. He's trying to get this fixed now.

I no longer live in Washington state. I've moved back to Alabama. Am I fixing to be without a car if they can't work this out? It's been almost 6 months!

Do I have any rights? My traded in car is most likely gone, so now what? I feel like I've done everything I could to get this taken care of. Am I gonna get stuck with some outrageous car payment now? Or maybe no car at all?
It is possible. You most likely signed paperwork stating that if they couldn't finance and you opted out, you would owe $0.25/mile or something of that nature as a "rental" fee.

sandyclaus

According to this site http://www.wsada.org/client/assets/files/Uploads/buying_a_car.pdf :

By law, the dealer has 3 working days from the time of purchase/lease (excluding weekends and holidays) to get financing approved and finalize the sale according to the terms of the contract. In order to expedite finding a lender and minimize the inconvenience to the buyer, your contract may be submitted to more than one lender. Care should be taken when proceeding with this process. If any of the contract terms change, or need to be renegotiated, then the existing contract must first be voided out and a new contract must then be drafted. The dealer must advise you of these
changes and then give you the opportunity to sign the new contract.

If financing is not obtained, the dealership must notify you within that 3-day period and void the contract, and must return any down payment and any trade-in vehicle you gave them.
Looks like the dealership royally screwed up. No way it should EVER take 6 months to finalize financing, especially given the 3-day rule imposed by law.
After 6 months, the dealer should have long since resolved any potential issues, and further delays can only be attributed to their own issues.

Under that same premise, if the buyer wants to back out, there should be some way to waive any "rental" fees if they choose to return the car, legally speaking.

Sounds like it's time to involve an attorney to protect your rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">