• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RJPSAH

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I have a mechanic that has done work on my car. I received his "bill" on 4/6/03 however he has had the car for over two months. The car was ready before 4/6/03 but due to personal obligations I could not go pay for the car and pick it up.

The mechanic has been nice enough to wait until my insurance company sends me the money to pay for the car. I deposited the money and my bank lost my deposit. The mechanic is now threatening to claim my car as abandoned so he can set it up to sell it.

Can he do that, the money is coming soon and I have been in contact with him on almost a daily basis since 4/6/03 regarding what is happening with his payment. Friends have told me he can do nothing until he notifies me by certified letter of his intentions of which time if the money is cleared I have a certain amount of time upon receipt of his certified letter to respond and pay him.

What can I do?

djohnson

He can take a mechanics lien on the car and sell it at auction to cover his bill. There are certain things he must do first like notify you and advertise in the paper. I think you may be making excuses. If you deposited the check you should have a receipt showing it. It should not take that long for the bank to find a missing deposit if you have done your part.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">