• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment of Loaned Items?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

McBean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have some musical instruments that were loaned to me by a friend's ex-girlfriend. When they broke up, she moved to the other end of the state, but never retreived her instruments from me. It's been about six months, and I'm about to move to a smaller place and do not have the room for these items.

I have tried emailing her, sending a facebook message, texting, and leaving a voicemail on her cell phone. No response at all. I know where she works, but I do not want the liability of shipping the instruments without her approval.

I would prefer that she pick them up or arrange to have them shipped, and will continue to try to contact her - but if she doesn't respond before I move, I'll need to find another home for these items. What further steps do I need to take before these items are considered legally abandoned? Can I have someone else keep them and just let her know where to find them? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

tranquility

I don't think you can remove responsibility for things you borrowed for your benefit. Unless you want to pay for them someday, I'd return them. (It is not her responsibility to retrieve them.)

McBean

I don't think you can remove responsibility for things you borrowed for your benefit. Unless you want to pay for them someday, I'd return them. (It is not her responsibility to retrieve them.)
Ok I see that they are my responsibility. But I've tried to contact her to ask how she wants them back, and she won't respond. I really really want her to have them back - they are not high-end, but she told me they have sentimental value. It was never meant to be a long term loan, am I really responsible for them until forever?

I have her work address - but with no acknowledgment or confirmation from her that it's ok to ship them there, I'm taking a big risk that they may not get to her.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have some musical instruments that were loaned to me by a friend's ex-girlfriend. When they broke up, she moved to the other end of the state, but never retreived her instruments from me. It's been about six months, and I'm about to move to a smaller place and do not have the room for these items.

I have tried emailing her, sending a facebook message, texting, and leaving a voicemail on her cell phone. No response at all. I know where she works, but I do not want the liability of shipping the instruments without her approval.

I would prefer that she pick them up or arrange to have them shipped, and will continue to try to contact her - but if she doesn't respond before I move, I'll need to find another home for these items. What further steps do I need to take before these items are considered legally abandoned? Can I have someone else keep them and just let her know where to find them? Any help is appreciated.
If you know where she works, have you tried calling her there rather than on her cell phone? Have you tried contacting any of her family and explaining that you are trying to get the items back to her? Since you now know its your responsibility to return them have you offered to pay the cost of shipping them to whatever address she indicates? You need to try harder.

McBean

If you know where she works, have you tried calling her there rather than on her cell phone? Have you tried contacting any of her family and explaining that you are trying to get the items back to her? Since you now know its your responsibility to return them have you offered to pay the cost of shipping them to whatever address she indicates? You need to try harder.
Justalayman: the verbal agreement was that I could use them for "a couple of weeks". She moved during that term. I did not have notice that she was leaving.

LdiJ: As I said, I'm going to continue to try to contact her. She cannot take calls at work - I don't want her to get in trouble. I don't know her family (she has a "history" with her family - and it's not my business) she is not communicating with any of our mutual friends, as far as I've been able to find out. Email and facebook message included an offer (albeit of last resort) to ship the items.

This is really frustrating. Good intentions, and all that.

I appreciate the input.

justalayman

Or even a fax or phone message.
I was thinking more so he could send an official notice that the items need to be picked up or end up being considered abandoned.

of course somebody has to find out exactly what time he must allow and all that but that was the intent

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">