• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ADT did not contact the police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lacyebs

Last week the glass break sensor set the alarm off at my house which is protected by ADT here in Florida. They called me to let me know and I dispatced my fiance to drive home from work (a 20 minute drive), upon his arrival there was no police officer there which I requested that ADT send. He then called our local police who confirmed that ADT had not contacted them about the situation. I then called ADT to find out why and they let me know that they had the wrong number for the police and that they notified the wrong authorites. This was a false alarm, however had it not been all of my things would have been gone with no trace of the burgalar or my entire home could have burned to the ground over them having the wrong phone number. All I want from them is my money back for the 6 months of service in which I have been under a false sence of security and what I paid for installation so that I can get a security system that works and my family is safe. Everytime I call them they promise to call me back and do not or they put me on hold until I give up or have to go to work, etc. Is there anything I can do to get them to right their wrong?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
False alarms happen. Quite often. Did ADT update the information for your local authorities?

One can't sue for 'what-ifs'.

lacyebs

They said that they did. I am uncomfortable with them and have been paying $50 per month for them to have the wrong number? I want my money back and a new security company. I have been paying for a service that was not/would not have been provided. The alarm was set off ligitimatly the dog broke a glass, could have just as easily been a criminal and my antique glass door!

justalayman

wow! it sure is good you found that out before it was really critical. Now you know the alarm works, they call you and now they have the correct number they call your police as well.
Sounds like you are all set and safe.

btw; you aren't due anything for the last 6 months. The did everything they were supposed to do every day except the one. You might try asking them for the one day they did something wrong though.

how did they get the wrong phone number to begin with? Isn't that information you supply them with?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
...could have just as easily been a criminal and my antique glass door!
But it wasn't. And you have been protected by ADT's contractual obligation to you. If you had suffered a loss you would have had legal recourse due to their negligence.

Speaking of contracts, the first thing you need to do is find the service contract and read it word for word, taking specific note of any disclaimers.

lacyebs

Yes, but they would have used the wrong number everyother day as well. They called the panama city police rather than lynn haven...they send the bill to and installed the system in Lynn Haven!!! I paid for security and was given false security. My money would have been better spent on a doberman and a shot gun.

lacyebs

I wonder how their claims department would have handled my great-great grandmothers engagement ring that could have been saved had the police been notified who were 6 blocks away?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Yes, but they would have used the wrong number everyother day as well.
Yes, they would have. And you might have suffered damages. And you would have had legal recourse had that happeend. But it didn't.

Again, this may all be entirely moot depending on your contract. Read it.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
All your what-ifs and drama mean nothing. Like Charlotte said, get out your contract and read it. Bet you find that if you cancel the contract, you are responsible for several hundred dollars of fees.

And as far as the wrong number: That would be between you and the trunk-slammer that sold you that ADT system. To top that off, if you decided to go with another company, the alarm system would have to be replaced, since ADT locks theirs down and no other monitoring company can access them.

Alarm systems/monitoring are cheaper when installed by someone who doesn't work for ADT or any of the other national companies.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I wonder how their claims department would have handled my great-great grandmothers engagement ring that could have been saved had the police been notified who were 6 blocks away?
"What if" is a black hole. If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their ass every time they hop. You need more than "if".

Antigone*

Yes, but they would have used the wrong number everyother day as well. They called the panama city police rather than lynn haven...they send the bill to and installed the system in Lynn Haven!!! I paid for security and was given false security. My money would have been better spent on a doberman and a shot gun.
No way - doberman poops :eek: oh heck no :roll head emoticon:

justalayman

you never answered how they got the phone number they called.

and the fact is, they didn't use the wrong phone number every other day.

their actions have caused you no loss so you have no claim.

and you did have piece of mind during those 6 months believing the system would work as you expected. If you want you money back, you are going to have to give them that piece of mind.

yep, you're right. You can't do that. You cannot change the past and you were comfortable due to the alarm system. You got everything you paid for except that one day. Ask for 1 days cost refund.

btw: what did the Panama City police tell them when they said the address was not in their jurisdiction?

TheLawMan

For the most part, I disagree with the responses in this thread. I do agree that the contract should be thoroughly read and any disclaimers must be noted. However, please consider the following:

• At the time you installed the system, were you obligated to a signup for a contact (ie. one year)?
  • Are you currently under a contract?
  • What does your service contract state regarding contacting local authorities? Is this something you pay for or a "complimentary service" for your peace of mind?

I ask these questions, because if (1) you are under a current contract; and (2) received the alarm system installation as part of entering said contract; and (3) the service agreement specifically calls for ADT to contact the local authorities upon an alarm activation, then in the case at hand, ADT breached their agreement and you would likely be entitled to damages. I should note also, that the majority of these service contracts will have a section dealing with damages and what specifically you are entitled to. Generally, this is because of the alarm system did not function properly and your home was burglarized, ADT would NOT be liable for loss of property claims, but instead would ONLY be liable for the cost of the service agreement (ie. your service fee).

justalayman

OP never provided the source for the incorrect phone number for the police. Last time I knew somebody who had alarm supervision, the customer must provide the phone numbers to whomever they want to have called. If the same with this situation, OP is at fault for an incorrect phone number.

OP makes the argument of:

They called the panama city police rather than lynn haven...they send the bill to and installed the system in Lynn Haven!!!
. I know people that live in one city but as a coordination of coverage, police calls are actually responded to by a police force that is not what one would believe.

In my area, there are 2 police departments, and until last year, 3 police departments that could be called. I would choose which one I called. The only way an alarm service would know who to call would be by the number I gave them or specified which police force to call.

regardless; the OP suffered no damages. She had the peace of mind for the preceeding 6 months (a valuable benefit). She suffered no losses either then or even for this situation. As it stands, OP is whining but not supporting any claim with facts.

that makes it a no winner.

the only claim she might have is to cancel the contract due to loss of faith in the alarm company. That would stop future costs but nothing in the past.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">