• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice on tuition contract cancellation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dev96

The below is in California, in case that matters.

We have recently tried to take our daughter out of a private kindergarten and were told that we cannot do so, that we must continue paying till the end of the year (June 3rd).

On Feb. 4, I gave the school notice that we will withdraw her as of March 31 (we need to leave for Europe to due family obligations).

The school is prepaid kinda kinda 2 months in advance since the first deposit is in Aug and it starts in Sept. So on Feb. 1 they had our money for Feb/March. On march 1 we should pay for April.

The school is arguing that we cannot cancel and leave on march 31, because of their 'no refunds after April 1st clause).

I would like to hear some opinions this. Can we leave on March 31? If not, can we leave before that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the contract:

FALL TUITION AGREEMENT

School has a monthly program that runs every month of the year except for the summer recess, winter recess, and specified days off as stated on our school calendar. Payments are made in advance of the first of the month. The school year tuition is divided into ten payments, the first one is due on August 1st and the last one id due on May 1st. Tuition can also be paid annually or semi-annually. Unless other arrangements have been made, if payment is not received by the fifth of the month late fee charge will be applied. Also, unless other arrangements have been made, after 10 days of delinquency, the child may be asked to withdraw. REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN WITH A THIRTY DAY WRITTEN NOTICE IF YOU DECIDE TO WITHDRAW YOUR CHILD FROM THE PROGRAM. PLEASE NOTE: NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN AFTER APRIL 1ST.
Parents will be given at least 30 days notice of a rate change. For new students, the first payment is due at the time of registration. If you need to withdraw, this payment is only refundable if we receive the 30-day notice by July 1st. If continuing students need to withdraw, the 30-day notice needs to be given by July 1st in order not to be responsible for the 1st tuition installment.

This year's fall program will run from September 8th 2009 to June 3rd 2010

Please note: Tuition is based on the school year , September 8th - June 3rd. Tuition is due in ten installments or may be paid in advance. Prices quoted below are based on monthly payments.

fees for the program...

I understand my responsibilities under this contract for educational services indicated above and will be held responsible for the payments indicated.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">