• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age discrimination- legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Seyon

My name is Eric Vogel. I am currently attending public high school in Conyers, GA.

Recently, a new mall ("The Mall at Stonecrest") opened in a neighboring county (Dekalb County).

I am released from school at lunch time for a period of approximately two hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays. During one of these periods, I went to the mall to eat lunch.

I was told by a mall security officer that, if I was under 18, I could not be at the mall before 3 PM by order of the "mall courtesy code of conduct" and therefore had to leave. I was told that if I did not, the Dekalb Police would drive me back to school.

Keeping in mind that I was a paying customer and not interfering with mall functions or disobeying mall rules in any way, did they have the right to do this? And if they did, do the Dekalb Police have the right to "drive me back to school" if I am not doing anything wrong? Wouldn't that be considered illegal confinement?

I've filed a complaint against the mall, but would very much like to know if I have any legal ground against them. Any information would be appreciated.

-Eric Vogel, 17 years old

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">