• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agreement to pay for car damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vhinrich

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I got into a minor car accident. Me and the other person agreed to settle this without involving the insurance company since the damage was under $200. If we do report it to the insurance company, both of our premiums would go up and that's senseless.

Anyways, I'm going to pay this guy $180 by cash or check and I need to make a receipt/agreement that states that I paid him the money for the damages I caused and he can no longer hold me responsible for further damages nor be able to file a claim through insurance company, etc.

Can you help me out? What do I write? How do I start? What should I include to close any loopholes if the guy tries to get more money out of me?

Thanks in advance.

racer72

I (other person's name) hereby release (your name) from any and all claims related to a motor vehicle accident on (date of accident) and accept $180 as full and satisfactory payment for this accident.

Signed________________ Date__________

Print 2 copies, have the other person sign both, give him one, you keep the other. Though not necessary, you can have the release notarized or have a witness or 2 sign it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">