• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Airline and travel agency to court

• Thread starter cristobal_colon
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cristobal_colon

Washington DC,

I have bought an Plane ticket for a friend from Milan (Italy) to Santiago (Chile) using Travelocity. The ticket purchased was with Iberia, the spanish carrier. The ticket was for the 25th of December and return on the 2nd of January.
The ticket route was Milan, Barcelona (spain) Santiago.

The travel agency informed me that airline first moved the outbound flight from Milan to Barcelona and then cancelled it.
They said that they would reschedule for the 24th but since at the fare the original ticket was bought there are no seats left all they are offering is a refund of the ticket.

I find this unacceptable since my friend based on the purchased ticket (which I assume is a contract on the side of the travel agency/airline) incurred in additional expenses as hotels and rental car in Chile. Not to mention the fact that he is the witness at a wedding of an other friend of ours.

In addition the airline admitted to have free seats in a higher class but refused to change the outbound flight class for my friend.

In all this the airline is saying that it is up to the travel agency to solve the problem and the travel agency says they can do nothing other than what the airline is telling them, that is refund the ticket.

Is there anything I can do befire Christmas and if not is there a good chance to win for damages in court?
Thanks

JETX

Assuming that US law would apply (and that is questionable), your answers:
Q1) "Is there anything I can do befire Christmas"
A1) Yes. Purchase the higher fare ticket as offered.... or accept the refund.

Q2) "and if not is there a good chance to win for damages in court?"
A2) No. Lots of problems!! In fact, read the Travelocity agreement.... they are not liable for the 'damages' you/he would claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">