• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

airport liability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paulsamuel

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? I live in Hawaii, but the incident occurred in Maryland during travel.

I need advice, please.

Returning from a visit to MD, my wife and I were departing from BWI in Baltimore. We parked at designated airport parking. While boarding the airport's shuttle to take us to the terminal, the driver leaves before we had loaded our luggage, and I had to yell "STOP!" so he wouldn't leave my luggage in the parking lot.

Upon arrival at the terminal, before we had unloaded our luggage, the driver leaves again, this time taking one of our pieces of luggage with him. Unfortunately, this is the piece of luggage with all my wife's jewelry, and the baby's food and snacks for the long flight to Hawaii. We immediately called the shuttle office at the airport, and lost & found office, and we got a lot of run-around.

It has now been almost a year, and our luggage has not been returned. The luggage could have easily been retrieved since it was on an empty shuttle, that was just leaving for the parking area again, and our itineraries (with our names) were contained in the luggage.

We're not rich, so the jewelry collection contained mostly cheap items, $30 to $50 each, but there were hundreds of them, as well as some expensive items, including a $760 pair of pearl earrings, and a priceless silver bracelet from the Phillipines given to my wife from her now-deceased father.

Doesn't the airport have liability in this case, and how would I go about trying to retrieve recompense?

Thank you in advance.

You Are Guilty

paulsamuel said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? I live in Hawaii, but the incident occurred in Maryland during travel.

I need advice, please.

Returning from a visit to MD, my wife and I were departing from BWI in Baltimore. We parked at designated airport parking. While boarding the airport's shuttle to take us to the terminal, the driver leaves before we had loaded our luggage, and I had to yell "STOP!" so he wouldn't leave my luggage in the parking lot.

Upon arrival at the terminal, before we had unloaded our luggage, the driver leaves again, this time taking one of our pieces of luggage with him. Unfortunately, this is the piece of luggage with all my wife's jewelry, and the baby's food and snacks for the long flight to Hawaii. We immediately called the shuttle office at the airport, and lost & found office, and we got a lot of run-around.

It has now been almost a year, and our luggage has not been returned. The luggage could have easily been retrieved since it was on an empty shuttle, that was just leaving for the parking area again, and our itineraries (with our names) were contained in the luggage.

We're not rich, so the jewelry collection contained mostly cheap items, $30 to $50 each, but there were hundreds of them, as well as some expensive items, including a $760 pair of pearl earrings, and a priceless silver bracelet from the Phillipines given to my wife from her now-deceased father.

Doesn't the airport have liability in this case, and how would I go about trying to retrieve recompense?

Thank you in advance.
Odds are the airport did not own or operate that shuttle - they're almost always independant contractors. In any event, you need to ascertain who runs and who owns the shuttle, then sue them either in Small Claims or in the next higher court.

The catch? In order to collect on any judgment, you'll have to sue them in MD. (Unless, in a rare twist of fate, the owners also operate in Hawaii as well).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">