• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alarm contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alarmheadache

What is the name of your state? Ohio

In Aug of 2000 I installed a alarm system at my home. The alarm was suppose to be a 3 year commitment, and the salesperson led me to believe after the initial 3 years, I would be going month to month. When the alarm contract was up I was again contacted by the salesperson stating he could get me a better rate if I reupped for another 3 years, I refused stating I would rather go month to month. I sold the house the end of April this year (2007). I made phone calls to cancel various services, power, phone with no problem, till I contacted the Alarm Company. When I talked to them they stated I had to give them 30 day written notice, and was obligated by contract to pay through Aug of this year by my signed contract. I stated I had no contract like that, and they stated they had one signed by me and would send me a copy. I asked who the salesperson was and they stated it was hard to read on the contract but it looked like Brad, however they no longer used the company he worked for to sale their systems. I tried to explain to them I no longer owned the house and didn't need the service but they said I was still committed. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he was out of the office. I tried calling back later that day for a supervisor, and was given to someone else, they agreed to stop monitoring the service, but would not release me from the contract, which they were sending me a copy of. I asked i the reason they stopped using the Company I bought the service from was because of practicing like this, saying you go from a 3 year commitment to month to month when that wasn't true. The person I talked to said it was because the other company went out of business.

I recieved the copy of the contract in the mail, upon openning I knew why I didn't have a copy of the contract, because I didn't sign it.....the signature on the contract is not mine.
I called the company, and explained the difference in signature. They first stated that I had been paying for the service as the contract stated. I told them I know I was paying for the service because I was under the understanding the 3 year commitment was now month to month, that I never signed the contract they sent. She then asked for me to send a copy of my driver's license so she could compare the signature. I said fine, I would black out everything on the license but my signature, and she refused to accept that. I asked why she would need anything but my signature, and she couldn't come up with a good answer. I told her I could supply her with canceled checks with my signature from 2000 when this contract was signed....but she stated she needed my driver's license with nothing blacked out. She also needed my written cancelation of service per the contract
( I didn't sign).

I have a problem sending them written notice, since I would be obeying a contract, I didn't sign and now wondering by doing that I would validate the contract. I don't want to send them a copy of my drivers license. I have no problem having a notarized letter send to them stating that is not my signature on the contract. By the way, there is no salesman signature on the contract period....there are no initials where the person is suppose to sign where the contract was changed from 5 to 3 years even though there are places for initials. The company who no longer sells their service is still in business, no one named Brad works there but they no longer sell that alarm company services.

If I send them a written notice of cancellation is that validiating the contract? Am I responsible for this contract if I didn't sign it? What is the best way to disbute the signature? I have no problem sending them a notarized letter stating that is not my signature on the contract, that I call and cancel the service and my commitment to them ended when they acknowledge to stop monitoring the service on April 30. Will this suffice?

By the way, there is no doubt about the signature....I use my middle initial on 99% of any legal document I sign, I don't make the letter of my first name the same way, I don't use upward flares on my name either. If I had signed it, then I would assume it was my dumb mistake and eat it, but I didn't sign the contract....between the forgered signature and the lies I have been told I am not paying it. I just want to make sure I make the right steps if this goes to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">