• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alarm monitoring contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cureton05

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I signed a 3 yr home alarm monitoring contract in 7/05. Last month I received a letter stating that my contract has been sold and now another company is doing the monitoring. Then one week later the new company sends me a letter stating they are raising my monthly fee (which is on my credit card) by $10. My original contract states that the maximum that the fee can be raised is 5% per year. I did the math and the $10 is 5 times that! What are my options? Is this a breach? Don't they have to stick to the same contract? I would like to disolve the contract on this basis...can I do that legally? My thoughts are once they hit my credit card this month with the additional $10, then that's a breach and I can get out from under it. Am I right?

Thanks
ChrisWhat is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

cureton05 said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I signed a 3 yr home alarm monitoring contract in 7/05. Last month I received a letter stating that my contract has been sold and now another company is doing the monitoring. Then one week later the new company sends me a letter stating they are raising my monthly fee (which is on my credit card) by $10. My original contract states that the maximum that the fee can be raised is 5% per year. I did the math and the $10 is 5 times that! What are my options? Is this a breach? Don't they have to stick to the same contract? I would like to disolve the contract on this basis...can I do that legally? My thoughts are once they hit my credit card this month with the additional $10, then that's a breach and I can get out from under it. Am I right?

Thanks
ChrisWhat is the name of your state?
If your math is correct, sounds like a breach to me.

But before you don anything, re-read the contract very closely.

cureton05

Thanks!

I've reviewed the contract thoroughly many times to make sure I don't get caught up in the legalese and double check my math. My thoughts are I could call them and I imagine they would have to agree because of the maximum 5% clause but I would prefer to dissolve the contract so I'm thinking I should wait until they actually charge my credit card so I have proof of the breach. I don't want to do business with folks like this that either don't read the contract they purchased or are fishing to see if it sticks. What would I have to do to dissolve the contract? Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">