• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alarm sold to Northstar... now I'm being charged more???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pinkyde

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Md

I was tricked into signing a five year contract with Vision Security for $52.99 for five years. Couldn't get out so I paid automatically each month. Vision sold my account to North star who immediately began charging me $56.12.

My contract states "1.3 Company shall have the right to increase periodic changes at any time or times after the expiration of one (1) year from the effective date of this agreement upon giving subscriber written (30) days in advance of the effective date of change." I never received a notice.

I filed a complaint on BBB.org quoting my contract and asking to cancel with no penalty due to their breach. They responded that they were only charging taxes and fees and they will go back to charging me $52.99 next month. No offer of refund, no acknowledgement of their failure to notify me of the price change.

I am interested in anyone's opinion or advice.

Update: My contract was canceled and I no longer have any obligations to them. I only had to go as far as the BBB. I am satisfied with the outcome. If the customer is expected to follow the contract so is the company. Thanks for all the responses.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Md

I was tricked into signing a five year contract with Vision Security for $52.99 for five years. Couldn't get out so I paid automatically each month. Vision sold my account to North star who immediately began charging me $56.12.

My contract states "1.3 Company shall have the right to increase periodic changes at any time or times after the expiration of one (1) year from the effective date of this agreement upon giving subscriber written (30) days in advance of the effective date of change." I never received a notice.

I filed a complaint on BBB.org quoting my contract and asking to cancel with no penalty due to their breach. They responded that they were only charging taxes and fees and they will go back to charging me $52.99 next month. No offer of refund, no acknowledgement of their failure to notify me of the price change.

I am interested in anyone's opinion or advice.
Next time you want a monitored alarm, I'd suggest going with a local provider, not a 'trunk slammer' dealer. Locals provide the same type of monitoring for less. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It sounds to me like they started charging taxes and fees that you weren't being billed for (as they are required to do.) When you complained, they (as a customer-service gesture) reduced your bill to match the amount you had been paying previously. I don't see the problem.

FlyingRon

If you have a contract in effect, they can't raise the rates (unless specified in the contract).
If you don't have a contract in effect, you are free to find some other monitoring company. Many monitoring companies will be glad to take you on as a customer as they don't have to subsidize your alarm installation.

Pinkyde

It sounds to me like they started charging taxes and fees that you weren't being billed for (as they are required to do.) When you complained, they (as a customer-service gesture) reduced your bill to match the amount you had been paying previously. I don't see the problem.
My total bill was $52.99 which was inclusive of everything. Even so, charging more without notice is my focused issue. They can attempt to charge more with notice, per my contract. Thanks for the response.

Zigner

My total bill was $52.99 which was inclusive of everything. Even so, charging more without notice is my focused issue. They can attempt to charge more with notice, per my contract. Thanks for the response.
How much money are you out for the period that you feel you were overcharged?

Pinkyde

If you have a contract in effect, they can't raise the rates (unless specified in the contract).
If you don't have a contract in effect, you are free to find some other monitoring company. Many monitoring companies will be glad to take you on as a customer as they don't have to subsidize your alarm installation.
I have a written contract which is where I pulled the verbiage from. It does leave a window open for them to raise rates , but only with notice. I didn't receive any. I'm going to reject the offer with the BBB and see what happens.

Zigner

I have a written contract which is where I pulled the verbiage from. It does leave a window open for them to raise rates , but only with notice. I didn't receive any. I'm going to reject the offer with the BBB and see what happens.
The BBB means nothing - they have no legal status in this matter.

Pinkyde

The BBB means nothing - they have no legal status in this matter.
Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I was trying to find a quick resolve with them at this point which happens a lot through the BBB. This site is as far as I have gone for legal advice. I wanted a take on whether them not notifying me per my contracts requirement would be a reason to request them to discontinue my service free of charge.

Zigner

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I was trying to find a quick resolve with them at this point which happens a lot through the BBB. This site is as far as I have gone for legal advice. I wanted a take on whether them not notifying me per my contracts requirement would be a reason to request them to discontinue my service free of charge.
No, it's not enough to get you out of the contract.

OHRoadwarrior

Raising the rate would give you notice. Then there is only a matter of it being 30 days delayed or $3.77. That is not to say it could not become seriously complicated. My FIL is a very precise man. About 20 years ago, the city council enacted a water rate increase effective on a certain date. The water department immediately added the increase, not waiting the 30 days until councils date. My FIL called them and advised he was not paying their over billing for the month and of their need to correct it. They reused as it was only about 50 cents. He continued for 15 years to underpay the original 50 cents and all the penalties they added monthly until eventually they considered the bill far enough behind they shut off his water. After paying to have it turned on, he sued the city water department for the original 50 cents, all the late charges, interest and the re-connection fee. As the city lawyer was representing the water dept. venue was moved from our court to a neighboring city court. After reviewing all documents, the magistrate advised the water department to give him a credit before allowing it to go to trial, because they would lose and then be required to refund everyone else various amounts which would cost them hundreds of thousands in expenses to figure out how much they owed each person and the amount they actually owed out. The water department wisely agreed.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">