• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

All my stuff wrecked from an indoor storage unit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DanielSchaefer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
MN

I purchased an indoor climate controlled storage unit in January and stored my stuff until a few days ago. When I opened the unit, all my belongings were ruined from urine and feces from mice. The insurance I purchased did not cover this. I told the staff and they did not seem surprised and just said one of the other people who moved into a indoor storage unit brought them. I bought an indoor unit so this would not happen. I want to file a small claims suit to get my money back from the unit but I also lost approx 2000 dollars in belongings. What can I do?

Last edited:

Eekamouse

There's no guarantee that renting an inside unit will keep mice away from your belongings. How much food did you store in your unit? You bought the protection plan and it doesn't cover damage from mice? Where did you get this plan?

DanielSchaefer

My question is what can I do? Can I file small claims? People have told me to do it.

My storage unit was at U haul and the insurance was through the company they use. It just bothers me that I paid extra for the indoor unit so this wouldn't happen.

swalsh411

Of course you may file and if you're lucky they will settle out of court. But you won't be successful in making the insurance cover something it doesn't cover. Having said that, I'm very surprised it doesn't cover this. Did the insurance company tell you it wasn't covered? Or did you look at the actual policy yourself?

DanielSchaefer

Of course you may file and if you're lucky they will settle out of court. But you won't be successful in making the insurance cover something it doesn't cover. Having said that, I'm very surprised it doesn't cover this. Did the insurance company tell you it wasn't covered? Or did you look at the actual policy yourself?
I did both. It says it is not covered but the insurance company told me to file a claim anyways. Then they called back and said it says it isn't covered; which I already knew.

I was hoping that it was different for indoor versus outdoor.

swalsh411

I did both. It says it is not covered but the insurance company told me to file a claim anyways. Then they called back and said it says it isn't covered; which I already knew.

Can you please quote the specific language in the policy which says it's not covered or provide a link to the terms?

latigo

You have a viable cause of action against both SO sue the storage unit owner AND your insurance company. BUT in district court, not small claims.

The weaseling insurance company will either cough up or cross-claim against the storage unit owner and thus do most of the work for you.

In the meantime communicate with the Minnesota Department of Commerce to learn how to promptly lodge a formal grievance against your insurance carrier.

In my state, if the insured is successful in suing his carrier for contracted coverage, he is entitled to an award of attorney fees. Ask the Department or do some legal research.

Minnesota Department of Commerce
85 7th Place East
Suite 500
St. Paul, MN 55101
651-296-4026

Good luck

You Are Guilty

You have a viable cause of action against both SO sue the storage unit owner AND your insurance company.
The link posted by the OP, while not the actual policy language, does seem to suggest that "vermin" are a listed exclusion. If the policy mirrors that language, not so sure a claim against will go very far.

DanielSchaefer

The link posted by the OP, while not the actual policy language, does seem to suggest that "vermin" are a listed exclusion. If the policy mirrors that language, not so sure a claim against will go very far.
Sorry, I'm at work and don't have the actual contract. But the actual contract was very short and states everything o nthat site.

swalsh411

I'm not sure there is any good news to tell you. The insurance doesn't cover pests. There is probably something in the agreement with the storage place that says they don't cover pests either. These are all things you agreed to.

Do you have any evidence the storage place was negligent in allowing vermin to live there and should have reasonably done something about it?

DanielSchaefer

I'm not sure there is any good news to tell you. The insurance doesn't cover pests. There is probably something in the agreement with the storage place that says they don't cover pests either. These are all things you agreed to.

Do you have any evidence the storage place was negligent in allowing vermin to live there and should have reasonably done something about it?
No evidence really. I just took pictures of everything and all the pee stains and the poop everywhere. Right away, I assumed there was nothing I could do and that there was obviously something in the contract protecting the storage place. But a lot of people have told me to pursue it to at least get my money back for rental. I told them they are dumb and that is not how it works but literally everyone I talk to says it so it got me thinking. That's why I posted here.

DanielSchaefer

After I told the storage manager, he said the people who moved into the unit next to mine a few weeks ago brought them with him. He didn't seem one bit surprised. But I don't know how I would prove that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">