• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

All Sales Are Final

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

awarren265

What is the name of your state? GA

I purchased a used desk from a retail location. When the cost was being calculated I was handed and invoice so I could 'check the numbers'. I did and the sale was then rung up. I was given my receipt, left the store and then about an hour later realized I could not use the desk in the room as planned. I immediately call the store and was told I could not cancel the sale as their policy is "All Sales Are Final". I looked on my receipt and it does not state that policy. I was told to look on the invoice, which was originally presented to me to check prices, and sure enough on the bottom it stated the policy. I told the owner that I was not told their policy nor did I see any signs posted with the policy.

Do I have any recourse or options?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

awarren265 said:
What is the name of your state? GA

I purchased a used desk from a retail location. When the cost was being calculated I was handed and invoice so I could 'check the numbers'. I did and the sale was then rung up. I was given my receipt, left the store and then about an hour later realized I could not use the desk in the room as planned. I immediately call the store and was told I could not cancel the sale as their policy is "All Sales Are Final". I looked on my receipt and it does not state that policy. I was told to look on the invoice, which was originally presented to me to check prices, and sure enough on the bottom it stated the policy. I told the owner that I was not told their policy nor did I see any signs posted with the policy.

Do I have any recourse or options?

My response:

No, you have no recourse.

You're confusing some "right" to return purchased goods with the merchant needing to post such a policy.

The merchant doesn't need to post such a policy. That's because there is NO LAW that requires a merchant to "undo a contract" and to refund customer money.

The reason for your confusion, also, is that merchants will refund money as a gesture of "good will" in the community, and not because of some law. So, because you're used to returning items to stores, you were under the impression that there is some law requiring merchants to do so. You're mistaken.

The only time when a merchant is required to "undo a contract" for the sale of merchandise is when there is something wrong with the item; e.g., the item is not fit for the purpose of which it was sold, or the item was "defective."

The desk was neither defective, nor was it unfit for it's purpose; rather, your reason for wanting to return it was merely due to the fact that you " . . . could not use the desk in the room as planned."

Sorry. Not good enough.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">