• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

All Sales Final!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debodun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Is it legal for a store to have a "no return" policy? I was just at a local computer shop that repairs and also sells refurbs and custom built systems. They have a sign in the shop "ALL SALES FINAL". Why would a store have such a policy? I thought there was a grace period in which a consumer was allowed to return merchandise with which they are not satisfied.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Is it legal for a store to have a "no return" policy? I was just at a local computer shop that repairs and also sells refurbs and custom built systems. They have a sign in the shop "ALL SALES FINAL". Why would a store have such a policy? I thought there was a grace period in which a consumer was allowed to return merchandise with which they are not satisfied.
**A: yes it is legal especially on items that are not new. In this case, the store owner has a right to have a no return policy on refurbs and custom built systems. There are many reasons a store would have such a policy.

FlyingRon

To reinforce what HG says, they're entirely within their rights. There's no such thing as a required cooling off or return period except of very specific instances and certainly not regular retail.

Absent some fraud or intentional concealment, merchants aren't required to take merchandise back.

justalayman

I thought there was a grace period in which a consumer was allowed to return merchandise with which they are not satisfied.
definitely not simply because you were not satisfied they are not required to allow returns. There are some situations where they are obligated to accept returns such as the fraud and deception ron spoke of. There are also a couple other reasons that would allow a return, under certain circumstances but those are limited and are often waived with the acknowledgement of the sale being "as -is".

How to combat the practice?

either negotiate for the right to return the product under whatever reasoning you can negotiate or refuse to buy the item.

swalsh411

One reason for such a policy is that many products (especially electronics) drop dramatically in value once they are opened. Do your homework before you buy.

Mass_Shyster

Another reason is because some people will come and buy a computer, only to return it a week later because they are not "satisfied", when in reality, they were extremely satisfied with their free rental.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">