• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I legged over?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leggedover

What is the name of your state? NY

Ok - here is the situation.

I rent out some of my office space to individuals for 999.99 dollars a month.

This guy came from France, we previously agreed he will be renting my office space with all the facilities, i.e. Internet, local phone calls etc.... There was no written agreement however, we did not sign any contractual obligations on paper. I did not take a copy of his passport or any other ID.

On arrival he arranged for a cashier's check to be sent to me for the amount of 999.99 dollars - 1st month's rent. The check was drawn on an out-of-state US bank - so I am assuming he has a bank account in the USA (not in NY though) and most probably Social Security number.

The guy used my facilities for about 3 weeks now. Yesterday I received his cashier's check from his American bank with "STOP PAYMENT" written across it. I confronted the guy demanding explanations. he said there must've been some sort of error, he did not stop any payments, and he said he would go and get some cash for me. That was the last time I saw him.

I am also suspecting that he used the office phones to phone France directly along with my fax machines. My monthly bill has not arrived yet but I am sure I will have unpleasant surprises when I get it.

Essentially all I have on this guy is his resume with his French addresses and phone numbers AND that stopped check with the name of his bank in the USA and his account number on it. Also other people in my office can paerhaps confirm that his WAS using my facilities for over 3 weeks.

What can I possibly do LEGALLY against this guy in my situation? I am not even sure if he is still in the USA at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

S

seniorjudge

leggedover said:
What is the name of your state? NY

Ok - here is the situation.

I rent out some of my office space to individuals for 999.99 dollars a month.

This guy came from France, we previously agreed he will be renting my office space with all the facilities, i.e. Internet, local phone calls etc.... There was no written agreement however, we did not sign any contractual obligations on paper. I did not take a copy of his passport or any other ID.

On arrival he arranged for a cashier's check to be sent to me for the amount of 999.99 dollars - 1st month's rent. The check was drawn on an out-of-state US bank - so I am assuming he has a bank account in the USA (not in NY though) and most probably Social Security number.

The guy used my facilities for about 3 weeks now. Yesterday I received his cashier's check from his American bank with "STOP PAYMENT" written across it. I confronted the guy demanding explanations. he said there must've been some sort of error, he did not stop any payments, and he said he would go and get some cash for me. That was the last time I saw him.

I am also suspecting that he used the office phones to phone France directly along with my fax machines. My monthly bill has not arrived yet but I am sure I will have unpleasant surprises when I get it.

Essentially all I have on this guy is his resume with his French addresses and phone numbers AND that stopped check with the name of his bank in the USA and his account number on it. Also other people in my office can paerhaps confirm that his WAS using my facilities for over 3 weeks.

What can I possibly do LEGALLY against this guy in my situation? I am not even sure if he is still in the USA at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure what "legged over" means.

I am sure that a con artist needs a willing victim.

Guess which role you played in this drama?

leggedover

seniorjudge said:
I am not sure what "legged over" means.

I am sure that a con artist needs a willing victim.

Guess which role you played in this drama?
legged over = shafted = taken the p*ss out of = defrauded etc....

many thanks for your response. However, I came to this forum not for the purposes of rubbing salt into a fresh wound. :( My question is - can i LEGALLY do anything about this? E.g. first guess (probably a silly one) if I call the cops, what are they likely to do? I do not even have that French guy's address in NY. Second guess (perhaps even sillier) what if I phone his out-of-state American bank? Can I get any info on him from his bank? Can I report fraud and somehow get his account at that bank frozen or suspended or whatever?

S

seniorjudge

leggedover said:
legged over = shafted = taken the p*ss out of = defrauded etc....

many thanks for your response. However, I came to this forum not for the purposes of rubbing salt into a fresh wound. :( My question is - can i LEGALLY do anything about this? E.g. first guess (probably a silly one) if I call the cops, what are they likely to do? I do not even have that French guy's address in NY. Second guess (perhaps even sillier) what if I phone his out-of-state American bank? Can I get any info on him from his bank? Can I report fraud and somehow get his account at that bank frozen or suspended or whatever?
There is no guy.

There is no account.

There is nothing you can do.

He is off legging over someone else under a different name, etc.

Okay, I may have been salt rubbing, etc., but the point was and is that this is a scam and you have been taken.

The scammor is gone and the scammee has no recourse.

leggedover

lost mail - interesting situation... any advice?

A situation I have never had to go through - looking for your advice. Maybe someone has been in my shoes..... :mad:

I had important documents sent over from the UK to the US by Royal Mail Airsure which is meant to be the most secure air postal service :rolleyes: , the letter arrived to the US (Airsure has online tracking confirmation it was delivered to the US), and it's now been 12 days that I cannot find it. USPS barely admits that the letter was passed over to them by Royal Mail, however there is no online confirmation, the British tracking number was NOT entered into USPS system and essentially, USPS tell me on the phone that I should pray to God the letter will somehow find its way to the recipient......

Now - I tend to believe the Brits actually delivered the letter to the US - well they confirmed both on their tracking web page and verbally on the phone that the letter was indeed passed over to USPS. This Royal Mail Airsure mailing has automatic insurance for up to 30 British Pounds, which they told me they have no problems paying if the letter remains undelivered for more than 21 days (that is in 9 days from now).

However the value of those documents by far exceeds 30 British Pounds..... My question is - assuming the worst case scenario that the letter never arrives, do I have ANY legal standing taking USPS to a Small Claims Court or any higher court?

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">