• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I liable for the hospital bill when I am sent by force by the Police?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SGTLAU1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Florida.

About a month ago, my wife was feeling a bit sick or, may be tipsy after having a single alcoholic beverage by herself at a bar. As she walked out of the bar to take a rest on a bench nearby, she accidentally bumped onto a man. Minutes later, a cop showed up followed by an ambulance. She was then forced to go to the hospital by the Police and ambulance crew. She was conscious and she or the man she bumped onto had no injuries. She had said repeatedly to the Police and the ambulance crews that all she needed was to take a rest on the bench there, she did not want to go to the hospital, she did not need any treatment and she did not have money to pay for it. They replied to her "It's free!".

On arriving at the hospital, my wife again emphasized to the nurses and doctor at the hospital that she did not want any treatment and she had no money to pay for it. They replied to her that their job was to treat her only.
She was let go after the test result came out a couple of hours later.

3 weeks later, she received the bills from the hospital and the doctor for over $2,500 in total for what it described as "Level 5 ED Treatment" and "Alcohol blood test".

I immediately called the hospital about the bill and I was asked to explain the situation in writing to them which I did immediately afterwords.

A week later, I received from the hospital the bill the 2nd time enclosed with it was a form of Application for Financial Assistance.

Is she responsible for this bill? She was not charged for anything by the Police. She did not sign anything as she was in the hospital. We would appreciate it very much for any advice.

xylene

Don't pay a cent.

Make them force her. The hospital's ability to actually do that is extremely limited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">